books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Campus Celeb: University Bookshop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

As on-campus bookshops are dwindling in number, we at CCCU are very fortunate to still have one dedicated to CCCU students. Situated on the North Holmes road campus, students have been able to buy books at this establishment since the early 1970’s.

Craig Dadds, Bookshop Manager, has been working at the bookshop for 16 years and following a massive store refurbishment in 2009, is striving to push the establishment to the next level. By maintaining brilliant customer service, connections with authors, academics and Augustine House they would like to give the students the best customer service they can offer.

The university bookshop sells an array of books including recommended titles, course based books, novels, children’s literature, academic books from CCCU alumni and in specialist fields. These books are from an all-round range of subjects for courses and personal reading. The shop also sells essential stationery and the university merchandise which includes clothes, gifts, and plush toys. The clothing merchandise is made to Fair Trade standards and help to support graduation ceremonies. In the future, Craig would like to expand the shop online so students can conveniently order books and merchandise from across all campus locations and beyond.

As well as selling books for all your course needs, they also hold many events and competitions. For example, if you go and follow @cccubookshop you could be in with four chances of winning £125 pounds worth of books for your course (only open to current students.) The CCCU Bookshop also holds book signings and the most recent being published children’s author, Abie Longstaff. The next author event is with award-winning novelist Lawrence Norfolk on Wednesday 15th October at the Sidney Cooper Gallery.

Craig also says that their close connections with university staff, Library Services, published authors and academics sets them apart from the high street retailers. They don’t just stock course reading lists but other helpful books at a discounted rate. A minimum 10% for all students without having to produce student card. Special 20 % on selected books. There is also a 40 books at 40% discount, a highlighted title being the new David Mitchell novel, the Bone Clocks, which Craig can’t recommend highly enough!

They also price check books with online prices. Also last year it was found that 85% of the CCCU bookshop sales were same price or cheaper than Amazon. Craig also states that they wish to introduce second-hand books and  e books to their establishment in order to aid students further in their studies by giving as many choices as possible to how information is accessed. He describes the need for e books by quoting Stephen Fry in saying “Books are no more threatened by Kindle than stairs by elevators.”

Go and follow the @cccubookshop on Twitter for your chance to win some of your course books for this year! You must be a current CCCU student to enter. T’s and C’s apply.

Shop Opening Times

8:30 – 6:00 Monday to Thursday

8:30 – 5:00 Friday

10:00 – 3:00 Saturday

Contact us via our Twitter page @HercampusCCCU

Pictures taken my Whitney Ndubuisi.

Ashleigh is 21 and is currently in her second year at Canterbury Christ Church University.