Campus Celeb: Marissia Fragkou

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

Name: Marissia FragkouHome town: Athens, GreeceWhere do you live now: CanterburyTheatre work/ filmography:

Transports by Jon Welch (Anselm studios, Canterbury, 2014, director). 

What Happened to the Tyrant (Camden People’s Theatre, 2010) and The World Rests on a Tortoise (‘100 years of Futurism’ event, Goldsmiths College 2009) with cafila aeterna theatre company (resident spectator/co-deviser/co-dramaturg).

What link do you have with the university? 

I am a senior lecturer here at CCCU!

Why did you move to the UK?

To do a postgraduate degree in Theatre Studies at Royal Holloway, University of London.

What was your inspiration for performing/teaching?

I always wanted to teach. My passion for theatre surfaced when I studying drama as an undergraduate. 

How has your favourite practitioner influenced you our inspired you?

I am endowed to Samuel Beckett’s work for its visual landscapes and use of language. I am also moved by Pina Bausch’s choreographies. I prefer making or watching theatre that titillates the imagination through minimalism and a focus on the body.

Did you family inspire you to teach/perform? If not who?

I would credit my lecturers!

What is your favourite career moment so far?

There are plenty of precious moments that cannot be put into words. Most of them involve teaching undergraduates!

Do you have any advice for the students of CCCU?

Do not abandon what you are passionate about.

Have you got any other future projects?

I am in the process of writing a book about precarity and responsibility in contemporary theatre.

Thank you Marissia! If you would like to nominate a campus celeb please tell us @HerCampusCCCU!

Ashleigh is 21 and is currently in her second year at Canterbury Christ Church University.