Campus Celeb: Gemma-Marie Everest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

Profile

Name: Gemma-Marie Everest

From: Cornwall

Lives: Canterbury

Bibliography: The Tunnel (Sky Atlantic, 2013), Zombie Prom (CCCU, 2012), Witches of Eastwick (CCCU, 2013), When Midnight Strikes (Marlowe Theatre, 2013), Peanut Butter & Pickle (Own production, 2014.)

Connection to CCCU: Alum of the Creative Arts (Performing Arts and Creative and Professional Writing.)

So what encouraged you to complete a creative arts course?

I always knew I wanted to be a performer and had written stories and plays since she was little. Ideally I wanted to go to drama school but couldn’t due to funding and lack of confidence in myself and my performance ability. This meant I took a couple years out after college to work full-time to try support myself as well as save for the course I wanted to do. After I had auditioned for musical theatre, drama and commercial music I realized these courses just weren’t right for me. Finally in 2011 I thought about combining my passions and settled on the CCCU musical theatre & creative writing course (creative arts.)

What’s your favorite part of the acting process?

Completely turning into someone else. You can be you during the day then at night you’re a doctor or a rock star. You can be someone completely different to who you are and what you do normally. To possess the ability to be someone that you wouldn’t usually be is exhilarating. Also dressing up in costumes is a perk!

What projects are you working on at the moment?

Currently I am studying an Advanced Musical Theatre course in London while working to support myself. I think it is important to further your craft to prepare for a professional career in the future. In my own time I am currently developing a production of Peanut Butter & Pickle which I performed earlier this year to stage it again. I am also looking to take it to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

What’s it like being a recent graduate of Christ Church?

Weird! Seeing new Fresher’s in Canterbury makes me miss university. These three years have gone so fast and you look back asking yourself where the time has gone. You’re looking forward to the future but it’s scary at the same time because you’re out on your own now.

Did you always want to be a performer?

Yes. I fell in love with musicals the second I watched Cats the musical on VHS. I had studied ballet and dancing since I was little and knew from early on I would love to perform for a living. I literally came out of the womb high kicking and doing jazz hands.

Do you plan to work closely with the university as an alum?

I would like to. I want to remain supportive of the students in the Performing Arts/Drama/Dance/Creative Arts departments and come to assessments. Also I would like to get involved with any performances they’re doing as well as watching them.

Do you have any advice for current students?

Enjoy your time and make the most of it. If any opportunities arise take them but go out and make your own opportunities too. It’s over so fast so enjoy it and work hard!

For more on Gemma, check out her twitter page at @GMEverest

Do you have any ideas for Campus Celeb? Tell us on our twitter page @HerCampusCCCU

Ashleigh is 21 and is currently in her second year at Canterbury Christ Church University.