2015 Golden Disk Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

One of Asia’s biggest music awards took place on the 14th/15th of January 2015 with the annual Golden Disk Awards being held in Beijing. The awards ceremony is split over two nights. With the digital awards hosted by Kim Sung Joo, Kim Jong Kook and Miss A’s Fei on the 14th and the Album Awards hosted by Jun Hyun Moo, Super Junior’s Leeteuk and SNSD’s Tiffany on the 15th. The nights were full to the brim with some of the brightest kpop idols and celebrities all hoping to take hope of the prestigious golden music awards.

EXO had a rough year in 2014 as they lost two of the members (Kris and Luhan) but it didn’t stop them taking home the biggest award of the Album Awards day. The super band of ten took home Album of the Year for their mini album Overdose.

After winning big awards at the MAMA’s, Melon Music Awards, SBS PopAsia and the Bugs Awards Taeyang took home Digital Single of the Year for his song Eyes, Nose, Lips. GOT7 also did well as they took home two awards on the Digital Awards night for China Goodwill Star and Rookie of the Year (which they shared with fellow boy band Winner.) Their performance however wasn’t without hiccups as they performed with two members absent (Bam Bam and Yugyeom.)

B2ST won Best Male Group Performance and Most Popular Star for CUBE Entertainments but couldn’t perform due to visa problems. They weren’t the only one as Bonsang winners BTS had to perform without Jungkook who also had visa problems when trying to get to the awards show.

Boyband CNBlue celebrated their fifth anniversary since debuting as a four piece so it isnt surprising they took home four awards. One of the awards was the Bonsang award for their album Can’t Stop.

The awards show has had some back lash for its organization this year as it encounter problem after problem. Several idols experienced mic problems during their performances. At least they managed to perform as poor TaeTiSeo had one of their two songs cut. Boy bands Infinite and VIXX were left to find their own transportation which resulted them in taking public transportation. Super Junior member Leeteuk was the only one on stage to accept an award on behalf of his group as nobody in the band was told they would be winning anything. This awards show used to one of the best but in recent years it seems to have declined with many of its stars and fans left disheartened. Will the event’s organizers move the awards back to the Korean capital Seoul next year in hope to raise its levels? We can’t wait to find out!

Find below the full list of winners for the two night and don’t forget to tell us your thoughts @HerCampusCCCU

Winners List

DAY 1 – DIGITAL AWARDS 

Next Generation Award – Tasty

Rookie of the Year in Digital Single Division – GOT7 and Winner

Music Sales Award – Ailee

Male Group Best Performance – B2ST

Golden Disk in Digital Single Division (Bonsang)

Taeyang

AOA

Girl’s Day

K.Will

B2ST

HyunA

Ailee

Epik High

Soyu x Junggigo

Sistar

Most Popular Star in Digital Single Division – SNSD and B2ST

Best OST of the Year – Huh Gak (You Who Came From the Stars)

China Goodwill Star – GOT7

Trend of the Year – Soyou x Junggigo for Some

Best Hip-Hop Award – Epik High

Digital Single of the Year (Daesang) – Taeyang Eyes, Nose, Lips

DAY 2 – ALBUM AWARDS 

Album of the Year (Daesang) – EXO Overdose

Golden Disk in Album Division (Bonsang)

BTS

A Pink

VIXX

B1A4

Taemin

CNBLUE

INFINITE

Super Junior

SNSD

TaeTiSeo

EXO

Next Generation Award – BESTie 

Rookie of the Year in Album Division – Red Velvet

CeCi Asia Icon Award – CNBLUE

China Goodwill Star – CNBLUE

Best trot of the Year – Hong Jin Young 

Most Popular Star in Album Division – Taemin and Toheart

Female Group Best Performance – A Pink

iQIYi Popularity Award – CNBLUE

Ashleigh is 21 and is currently in her second year at Canterbury Christ Church University.