This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

We are in the final days until the winner of the presidential election is announced. This is the biggest election held every four years. Voters make sure to either get their votes in early or ensure they can make it to the polls on election day.  As I scroll through my timelines on any social media, I see people with their, “I voted,” stickers. An abundance of celebrities endorsing the candidate they believe to be the right fit. Most of all I see urging others to vote and explaining the importance of voting. This confuses me. Why are we still explaining why it is important to vote?

Tiffany Tertipes / Unsplash

From a small child to the woman I am today, my mom has told me the importance of voting. In school I learned about my people that fought, marched, and died for African-Americans right to vote. We all have. So, why do some feel as though it doesn’t matter? If people laid down their lives for future generations to have a say in who runs this country, why wouldn’t people take advantage? 

This year has exposed and taught us so much, especially the Black community.  Throughout this year, people have been fighting for change and to get their voices heard, and we can be heard. The Black Lives Matter movement reached countries around the globe. We have been shown that we are not alone in our fight for equality and that if we all band together we can get results. Let’s continue the fight by voting.

\"You Matter\" \"You Are Not Alone\" signs on fence
Photo by Dan Meyers from Unsplash

Despite what people think, one vote makes a huge difference, especially in this election. If you still can’t see it, think of it this way: There are six people in your household. You choose not to vote, because your one vote doesn’t matter. But your neighbor feels the same as you, so they don’t vote either, and so on and so on. Although one person in each house chose not to vote, every supporter of the less favored candidate votes, so they win. Your one vote, your neighbor’s one vote, and their neighbor’s one vote all mattered in the end. You are one person in a pool of people, who may or may not share your same opinion. So the number of those who choose not to vote is much larger than you think. 

For once let’s follow the younger generations lead. Gen-Z are fighters, determined to see this world become safe and livable for everyone of all walks of life. They have astonished the world by the way they come together. While on Tik-Tok, I see plenty of Gen-Z influencers registered to vote and educating others on why they should be too. This year will be their first year voting for the president and they will not waste it. 

biden
HCM Design

Many complain that things never change, but if they aren’t voting what are they doing to see that change happen? There are plenty of positions, besides the president, that we must educate ourselves on and vote for.  Whether it be for the president, congress, legislators, executives, etc. it is all important. The president has a lot of power, but there are other branches within the system that are of equal importance. Each one has their own duties, which impacts all of us. 

No one should have to convince anyone why voting is important. There is so much of our everyday lives that are impacted by those in power. And that is more than just the president, but hopefully you see why voting in itself is major. Exercise your right to vote

biden
HCM Design

My name is Destiny Brooks and I am from Atlantic City, New Jersey. I attend Clark Atlanta University, majoring in mass media arts, with a concentration in radio,tv, film and a minor in theatre. My interests lie in the entertainment industry and and all aspects of Black life. In 2019 I wrote a review on the movie Black Panther, which was published in the Stockton Argo, my previous school’s newspaper.