Young Thug And His Ironic Dislike for Black Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

It was only December of last year that Young Thug found himself the topic of debate on social media when he uploaded an immediate-viral video of him arguing with two women he claimed were prohibiting him from boarding his flight. Per TMZ, [link in TMZ- http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/07/young-thug-alaska-air-flight-blasts-employ…

the Beautiful Thugger Girls artist was supposed to be on a flight from Atlanta to Seattle but because he arrived their 45-minute cutoff period, the employees were only able to offer him a seat on a partner flight. He declined.

The two-minute clip begins with a friend of Thug recording him opening a Bentley bag with an extensively large sum of money inside, stating, “I’ma try one more time to see if they’re ready.” The Beautiful Thugger Girls artist then walked over to the two Alaska Airlines workers whom the cameraman did not hesitate to put on camera. Once they seen the camera pointed at them, they turned their backs towards it, one of the woman demanding, “You need to get me off of that camera and step away from this counter.” Thug stated to the camera, “These two ants were so rude. They’re peasants. They’re saying their manager is on the way. I don’t wanna talk to the manager. Y’all ants. Your manager’s a peasant, y’all ants.” Then, in the most sarcastically charitable way possible, he made them an offering, saying, “I’ll give y’all bum a** hoes $15,000 a piece to quit your job.” He went on to ridicule them, telling the person recording to zoom-in on their hair, which he referred to as “nappier than a motherfu**er.” He also made a comment that the employees “looked like Africans”, and called one a “donkey”.

Shortly after the incident, he took to Twitter to issue what (we guess) was supposed to be an apology. “By the way, this message wasn’t to all my black women, it was to those two black burnt women.” He ended the tweet with several laughing emojis. As expected, social media went in an uproar for how the rapper treated these women. Many made the point that he harbors self-hatred for his own looks and skin-color, which is the only way he could’ve felt no remorse for the remarks he made towards them.

You can check out the video here. [link for “here”- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doXZ1sc5Sv4]

Almost a year later, it seems his opinion towards black women (or himself) has not changed. Popular media company, The Shade Room, posted this on their Instagram account Saturday evening.

It’s one thing to berate someone for their looks, but it’s another to do it using words that bring down an entire demographic in the process—especially your own. It seems that Young Thug needs some time to look at himself in the mirror and analyze where exactly his dislike for black women stems from.

My name is Lexi Zàhra. I'm a 22 year old senior at the esteemed Clark Atlanta University where I major in Mass Media Arts with a concentration in radio, television, & film. My interests are in all things art, most importantly music, poetry, and literature. It's an honor to write for Her Campus CAU and I hope you enjoy my content.