neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Working in Food and Services: Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

After reading my fellow teammate’s article Working in Retail: Tips & Tricks by Miranda Perez, I thought I should write an article about working in Food and Services. Working in the Food Services industry is a different type of job. It’s a job that not everybody can do. I’ve worked at an Amusement Park, Chipotle and Subway. All three jobs literally suck, but for some odd reason, I stayed. 

1. Have Patience

Working in food is not easy at all! Especially places like Subway and Chipotle because you are making someone’s food right in front of them. So, of course, they are going to be very picky as to what they want and how they want it. Not going to fib, sometimes I want to sling the food over the sneeze guard and tell them to make it to themselves. Luckily, I don’t; but trust me I have thought about it!

2. Knowing The Restaurant Menu

While working in restaurants you should be familiar with the menu and know the prices off the top of your head. Although you work at the restaurant, that doesn’t mean you have tried everything on the menu. For example, at Subway a customer asked me if I like the tuna and I said no. While working I am completely honest when it comes down to opinions of the food options at the restaurant that I have worked at. You would think I would fib and say everything is delicious but I don’t. Half of the things served at Subway isn’t fresh and I think I should tell customers what they are eating.

3. Not Every Restaurant Is The Same

Before I worked at the Subway in Atlanta, I worked at one back at home in Connecticut. By me having experience at Subway the manager in Atlanta hired me on the spot. Within 15 minutes on my first day, I knew it was not going to be the same Subway experience as it was at home. With that being said, know that being comfortable setting is key. Before you apply to any job take note of the location of where it is and how well you work it in.

With this in mind work cautiously and diligently when looking to work in food and services. It truly takes patience and consideration.

Hey! I am Terri Blige a Senior English Major with a Concentration of Creative Writing at Thee Clark Atlanta University. I am from Connecticut. I am proud to say that I am a writer for HerCampusCAU