Why “She’s Gotta Have It” is the Reboot We Never Knew We Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

31 years after the original movie “She’s Gotta Have It” directed by Spike Lee (the genius), a reboot was released on Netflix. With all the twists and turns of Nola Darling, I never would’ve thought it could have gotten better. But I was wrong. Spike Lee the amazing has done it yet again, and this time it reflects today. I have no words but pure excellence. Nola Darling is the good, the bad and the ugly in all of us. We watch as she goes through life and struggles through what she thinks she wants. Yet, the truth ended up being completely opposite of how she thought she would live her life. If you’re looking for an awkward, beautiful coming to age story with a bit of a twist, this is your joint. Also a bit of a PSA, if you do not like spoilers, stop reading here.

The beautiful, artistic, and amazing Nola Darling. She is originally played by Tracy Camilla Johns but in this reboot the beautiful and talented DeWanda Wise. The alluring, sensual chocolate woman is who some may die to look like. Nola has rules and will not back off of them. She has lovers, four in total. Three, with penises that she mostly spends her time with. As we come to see all of her crazy, exciting sexual adventures with all of them; we also see the personalities they all bring out of her. Would I say Nola is in love with all four of them or any at all? Probably not. However, I can tell she loves them all in different ways. Nola can try to hide and deflect from the fact that these people may impact her and has her breaking her own rules all the time. But does that mean we don’t see the truth? Not at all. Let’s start with our boy Mars.

Mars is that crazy, happy go lucky, big kid at heart every girl needs. He’s adorable and funny and can really lifts your spirits. He always has Nola’s back. Sometimes though, this child mentality is too much. But Mars definitely lifts our spirits and brings the humor to the series. Greer, the model/photographer from Paris. He’s very into himself but not in wrong ways. Greer is romantic. Sometimes overly aggressive but he has good intentions. Greer is what her romantic, artist side needs. Plus really great sex! James is the married, kind of grown and sexy business man. The man that can wine and dine a girl at places she’s never been before. Take her to see the world at a convenience but one she can never have. The fourth lover is a bit of a twist. Opal, a woman she is in love with but tends to mess things up. In the original movie Nola was not gay. She may have had romantic feelings for a woman but refused the title and sexual things. This time Nola labels herself Pansexual. Opal is a caregiver, she is responsible. She is ALWAYS there for Nola. Yet, she’s always letting Opal down. Opal is my favorite of all. She doesn’t complicate Nola’s life and lets her live it as her own. She is just there to support. I think if Nola was in love with anyone, it would be her.

Politics? Gentrification? Social justices? Rape culture? Black neighborhood love? Body insecurity? This show has all of that and more. Spike Lee infuses the past to meet our present. While the first episode touches a bit of rape culture and cat calling. Our brave Nola Darling put up a huge symbolic piece of artwork. “My Name is Not B*tch”. That’s what it said. After an assault that happened in her own neighborhood that caused somewhat of awakening spiral to life. There were clever moments where Lee would add little symbolic detail. One such as the names of celebrities who hyped Brooklyn and people come in with a sense of entitlement due to gentrification. The beginning of the episode Trump was elected was extremely powerful. I had no words for such a beautiful intro that episode.

In all, Spike Lee did an amazing job capturing today’s idea of Nola Darling. We felt so many different emotions and feelings towards her. With the added characters with deeper backgrounds this allowed us to feel sympathy for everyone. I feel as though every main character touched our hearts in multiple ways. I can only truly say thank you to Spike Lee for creating such a masterpiece. Though I never would’ve imagine a today’s Nola, I’m happy I got to experience her and every life moment she has had. I’m so blessed to meet her amazing parents, go through the ups and downs with her best friend Mekka. Have a very curious and disappointed reaction based upon James’ double life. Empathize with the children at the elementary school. Lastly, fall in love with Opal and Nola’s relationship. I for one vote for them as cutest couple. This is definitely a must see.

Hey, my name is Demetri Dulaney. I am currently a sophomore at Clark Atlanta University. I'm from Columbus, Ohio and I am nineteen years old. I am a writer for HerCampus. I am a Mass Media Arts major with a concentration in Journalism.