This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Ever since I was a little girl, English and Writing have been my favorite subjects. Not to mention, I was consistently reading above average which helped me with comprehension and vocabulary. But, even noting that, I never sat and thought about why I write or why I love it so much. Growing up, I was very shy and not as confident as I am now. Writing was my escape, safe haven, and hobby all in one. Now that I am no longer that shy girl, my reasons for writing are different now.

I write because I’m good at it. I love editing and revising my own papers and reading them over. I love seeing my progress. I love how creative and/or informative my pieces are.

I write because I have a lot to say. I am very opinionated and not afraid to speak out on what I believe in. I am extremely passionate about women empowerment, especially black women empowerment. This is because we need it the most. We are the minority and so many black women don’t realize how special or magical we truly are. It’s heartbreaking.

I write because I want to motivate others to be productive, go after their goals, and just be more positive altogether. Since coming to CAU, my outlook on life has changed drastically. I no longer look at the cup as half empty. There is just too much to live for.

I write because it helps me keep track of what is going on in my life. College weeks go by super fast. It’s common to feel like you’re just going through the motions. I’m a very nostalgic person. I love reminiscing on my past.

Before you groan or roll your eyes the next time your professor assigns a paper, remember that you are the author. You have the ability to make the paper as monotonous or as interesting as possible. You can make it personal, informative, satirical, etc. Have fun with it. Writing doesn’t have to be boring.

With that being said, I challenge every girl (or guy) reading this to write. It can be a poem, journal entry, a rant, a quote, whatever you want. Try to write three positive things that happened to you or three things that made you smile. Create a list of everything you want to accomplish this month. Life just goes by so fast. Before you know it, it’s a new month, you’re one year older, it’s a new year, and it repeats. If you’re not taking the time to truly enjoy everything God is blessing you with, what’s the point?

Freshman at Clark Atlanta University from New York City. Business Administration major & Fashion Merchandising minor.