This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Gangster movies are a genre that doesn’t get a lot of recognition. Although many Gangster movies aren’t made that often, the two that notorious Gangster movies that I want to compare and contrast is American Gangster starring Denzel Washington playing the infamous Frank Lucas. The other movie is The Untouchables starring Robert De Niro playing the disreputable. The two movies have are based on true stories about what these Gangsters did to become successful in these two times periods.

American Gangster:

In 1968, Frank Lucas is the right-hand man of Harlem criminal Ellsworth “Bumpy” Johnson. At the point when Johnson kicks the bucket of a heart assault, Lucas takes control of the Harlem crime scene.

Richie Roberts is new to the Harem region. After his ousted and dependent partner overdoses on a strong brand of heroin called “Blue Magic”, Lucas purchases Blue Magic specifically from makers in Thailand and pirates it into the U.S. through returning Vietnam War servicemen. His low overhead enables him to in the long run discount Blue Magic to the vast majority of the merchants in the New York zone. Lucas extends his control to clubs, gambling clubs, and prostitution. He purchases a mansion for his mom and recruits his five siblings. During his ascent to turning into Harlem’s wrongdoing supervisor, Lucas becomes hopelessly enamored with Eva, a Puerto Rican glamorous lady.

Forthright Lucas avoids the drugs to avoid from settling on hard choices influence. In any case, Lucas damages the standards when he goes to the Fight of the Century with Eva, wearing vainglorious garments that were a present by Eva; Roberts goes to the fight, sees the already obscure Lucas with surprisingly better seats than the Italian mobsters, and examines him. Forthright Lucas avoids the drugs to avoid from settling on hard choices influence. In any case, Lucas damages the standards when he goes to the Fight of the Century with Eva, wearing vainglorious garments that were a present by Eva; Roberts goes to the fight, sees the already obscure Lucas with surprisingly better seats than the Italian mobsters, and examines him.

Lucas is arrested after Roberts’ team conducts a raid on the shops run by his brothers. Roberts offers Lucas a chance at a shorter jail sentence if he aids his investigation of dirty cops in the NYPD and Lucas duly provides Roberts with the names. Lucas is sentenced to 70 years in prison, of which he serves 15 years and is released in 1991.

The Untouchables:

After building an empire with bootleg alcohol, legendary crime boss Al Capone (Robert De Niro) rules Chicago with an iron fist. Though Prohibition agent Eliot Ness (Kevin Costner) attempts to take Capone down, even his best efforts fail due to widespread corruption within the Windy City’s police force. Recruiting an elite group of lawmen who won’t be swayed by bribes or fear, including Irish-American cop Jimmy Malone (Sean Connery), Ness renews his determination to bring Capone to justice.

During Prohibition in 1930, reigning crime kingpin Al Capone has nearly the whole city of Chicago under his control and supplies illegal liquor. Bureau of Prohibition agent Eliot Ness is assigned to stop Capone, but his first attempt at a liquor raid fails due to corrupt policemen tipping Capone off.

Capone has not filed an income tax return for some years and suggests that the team try to build a tax evasion case against him since he is well-insulated from his other crimes. At Union Station, Ness and Stone find Payne guarded by several gangsters. A gunfight breaks out on the lobby steps, resulting in all the gangsters being killed and Payne being taken alive. As Payne testifies at Capone’s trial, explaining the untaxed cash flows throughout the syndicate, Ness observes that Capone seems unusually relaxed and also sees Nitti carrying a gun under his jacket.

Ness has the bailiff remove Nitti and searches him outside the courtroom. Even though he has the mayor’s permission to carry the weapon, Ness finds a matchbook in Nitti’s pocket containing Malone’s address and realizes that Nitti killed Malone. Nitti shoots the bailiff and flees to the courthouse roof. Ness gives chase and in the ensuing confrontation, Nitti mocks the way Malone died and remarks that he will escape justice despite the evidence. This prompts the enraged Ness to throw Nitti off the roof to his death.

The judge subsequently orders that the Capone jury is switched with one in another courtroom, prompting Capone’s lawyer to enter a guilty plea without Capone’s consent; despite Capone’s protests, he is sentenced to eleven years in prison.

After reading the summaries of both movies, which one sounds most interesting to you? Personally, I love American Gangster. I love how Frank Lucas went all the way to Thailand for his product and how he was smart and stealthy while also handling his business.  The Untouchables is a good movie when you are learning about the Prohibition, which is the first time I watched it when I was a Sophomore in High School. They are both movies that I highly recommend. All the movies I recommend are great!

Hey! I am Terri Blige a Senior English Major with a Concentration of Creative Writing at Thee Clark Atlanta University. I am from Connecticut. I am proud to say that I am a writer for HerCampusCAU