This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

A lot of people don’t realize that choosing a color scheme will help a lot when it comes to shopping for furniture as well as choosing accent pieces for each room. Choosing a color scheme for each room in your home seems more complicated than it should be. But really, when you separate each room into their own category and decorate each of them one at a time, you’ll realize that it’s more simple than you thought. If you’re unfamiliar with choosing colors that compliment each other, check out this color generator.

I usually use it when I create flyers or other digital media, but it can be just as helpful in real life. For example, if you want to create a color scheme based on an image that you saw on Pinterest, you can save the image to your computer or phone, then process it through the generator and it will push out that exact color scheme. If you don’t have a color scheme picked out, you can just keep generating color schemes until you find one that appeals to your style. When it’s time to shop for big pieces of furniture, you’ll already have the colors that you’re looking for, so you won’t make the mistake of choosing colors that don’t compliment each other. Simple, right?

I know that it might sound really intimidating at first, but you might just need to step out there and start shopping. You can always return the things that you’re not 100% in love with!

Let’s talk complimentary colors. I usually start with one color that I know I have to have in my home (let’s say my bedroom). In my bedroom, I am choosing white as the main color, with a pop of lavender. When I look on apps like Instagram or Pinterest, I’ll type in “lavender bedroom” or “white furniture/lavender”. The cool thing about these apps is that they’re coded to understand most simple commands. The more you look at rooms with similar color schemes, the more those color schemes will be pushed out onto your explore page. When I’m looking for lavender and white, I keep in mind that another color that would stand out in this color scheme might be something dark like black or navy blue if I want to keep a more feminine appeal to my bedroom. When I shop for accent pieces to go on my dresser or pillows for my bed, I might search for small accents with navy blue and a little hint of gold or silver. Another note I’d like to make would be to include some sort of metal or wood (I wouldn’t suggest both at the same time).

So, the colors I would have chosen for my bedroom would be white for furniture, lavender for a pop of color, navy blue for a contrasting color, and a light washed wood for a homely feel. Here’s an example of a bedroom with a similar feel, as well as a color scheme I generated on the color generator.

Using this generator has helped me greatly within my interior design journey. With winter break coming around now is the perfect time to experiment with it and attempt to plan our some refreshment plans for your dorm or room at home.

Hi! I'm Aliyah, a Senior Business Administration major with a concentration in marketing from PG County, Maryland. I spend my time watching YouTube videos, Netflix and reading books. I love all things storytelling.