What is Afro-Punk?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Afro-Punk is a musical festival that was founded in 2005 catered towards black people who were fans of alternative and punk music. The festival was made to give Afro-Punks a space to enjoy themselves in a setting that was not dominated by white people like the punk scene was generally. As time went on, Afro-Punk evolved showcasing: neo-soul ,rap and reggae to cater towards the interests of the black community. The once New York based festival has transformed into a huge event with multiple locations all over the world.

Afro-Punk focuses on being an inclusive space. Displayed on stage of the festival is a list of ‘Nos’ stating; “No sexism, No racism, No ableism, No ageism, No homophobia, No fatphobia, No transphobia, No hatefulness.” Amongst the major highlight of inclusivity, Afro-Punk offers various activities to partake in. Food trucks offer organic sweets and food hybrids: like jalepeno hotdogs as well as the typical finger food like wings and pizza. There are also plenty of black owned businesses to shop from;  Handmade patches, head wraps and urban clothing are available. The brighter the better is the best approach to attending Afro-Punk as individuality is admired by major magazines who photograph attendees; Vivacious energy is key at this festival. The point is to let loose and enjoy the overall experience.

Afro-Punk is coming to Atlanta October 14th-October 15th 2017. Tickets are fifty five dollars for single day admission and ninety dollars for the weekend pass. Amongst the wide variety of artists attending-the  headlining acts of the Atlanta festival include Miguel,Solange,Willow Smith and Princess Nokia. Tickets are available on AfroPunk.com along with access to the list of food and markets available. Afro-Punk is truly the place to be for any and every carefree black boy/girl along with people of color in general!

Afropunk.com and Theguardian.com were the sources used for the photos 

Photo Credits: REBECCA SMEYNE

Miranda is a Junior Mass Media Arts Major Print Journalism Concentration at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University. Hailing from Chicago, IL, Miranda is looking to write for the politically conscious, fashion-forward, and everyone in between. Feel free to connect with her via social media as well as through LinkedIn!