Watch Out for the Girls with Curves!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

It’s no secret that the fashion industry has an issue with sizeism. The tradition of statuesque, tall and size 0-2 models has been kept up as the face of the industry for way too long. However, with the introduction of the upcoming documentary Straight/ Curve, the classification of beauty is being challenged, and we love it!

Journalist and director, Jenny McQualie, started a necessary conversation among fashion activists, models and editors who all fight for diversity within the fashion industry, and more specifically NYC’s modeling industry. Straight/ Curve contains a refreshing approach to female empowerment and self-confidence while dealing with the size 0 versus plus size stigma, crushing every stereotype that the world has about plus sized women in the fashion and modeling industry. Check out the trailor below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c3xDS0FGGE

It’s so refreshing and empowering to see plus size women and their supporters redefining what it means to be plus size. It’s been said that a real women has curves. If that’s so, why are all of the real women constantly being misrepresented and undervalued on runways, in magazines, and in stores?! It’s amazing to see plus size women and advocates stand up to society and present themselves, basically saying “Here I am. I am beautiful. My curves are beautiful. Deal with it!” Women like Gabi Gregg, Nadia Aboulhosn, Tess Holliday, Chenese Lewis, and so many more are redefining beauty standards and fashion rules for plus size women everywhere, breaking all of the “rules” along the way! Two of our favorites on this list are Gabi and Tess! Gabi Gregg should be among every plus size fashionista’s fave list. Her blog GabiFresh depicts her amazingly trendy style, chic escapades, and lifestyle tips, giving her readers an outline of how to dress to accentuate your curves and tearing down any and all plus size fashion rules. Tess Holliday is one of the industry newest faces in the modeling industry, who was the first size 22 supermodel to grace the cover of People. She slays all day, every day while empowering her followers with her #EffYourBeautyStandards campaign, redefining what it truly means to be beautiful in today’s society. Get into these women and get inspired!

Gabi Gregg (Gabifresh)

Nadia Aboulhosn

Tess Holliday

Chenese Lewis

It’s so important for every young women to know that she is beautiful, whether she is big or small, short or tall, Plain Jane or Fancy Nancy. We must confront these head on, defining ourselves before the world has even the slightest chance for input. The plus size community is a great example to follow, stepping forward and letting the world know exactly who and what they are! From the Straight / Curve documentary to Project Runway’s first plus size fashion show feature to plus size models being prominent at New York Fashion Week to Lane Bryant’s AWESOME #PlusIsEqual campaign, we are so excited to see what is next for the girls with curves! 

What do you all think of the recent strides that the plus size community has made? How are you redefining your own beauty standards? Leave us a comment and let’s start the conversation!

Shatay Speights is a Clark Atlanta University senior, majoring in Fashion Merchandising from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. She has a passion for fashion, journalism, and inspiring young women around her, all of which she plans to tie into her budding fashion/ journalism career. Shatay is currently the Managing Editor for Her Campus CAU and Fashion Editor for her school newspaper (The CAU Panther). She enjoys reading, writing, shopping, being around friends and family, volunteering, and staying up on the latest news in fashion and entertainment. Follow Shatay on IG and Twitter at @fashionsinatra !