This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

The highest factor of anticipation on Thanksgiving is always the food. Many of us are forced out of the kitchen all day and watch in agony as the family chef works their magic. In fact, this factor is what makes everyone love the holiday. However, the food can almost be too much at times. After Thanksgiving Day the fridge only becomes occupied with the Thanksgiving leftovers. The turkey, stuffing, macaroni and cheese, and dinner rolls, all become repetitive plate after plate. So, how do you transform this repetition into an innovative meal? Below are some recipes that I have tried over the years to revive your favorite leftover dishes!

1. Turkey Nachos

• Enough GF corn tortilla chips to fill the bottom of your baking pan
  • 2 cups of leftover turkey chopped and pulled
  • 2-3 cups of shredded colby jack or cheddar cheese (depends on how cheesy you want it)
  • 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup white onion chopped 
  • 1/8 cup green onion chopped 
  • 1-2 jalapenos thinly sliced
  • sriracha
  • 1/2 tsp taco seasoning 

Directions

1. Preheat your oven to low broil.
  2. Fill the bottom of your baking pan with the tortilla chips. Add the turkey and then the cheese evenly on the top of the chips.
  3. Sprinkle the tomatoes, green and white onions, and jalapenos on top.
  4. Drizzle with sriracha and sprinkle with taco seasoning.
  5. Broil for 4-8 minutes, or until cheese has melted and the outside chips/cheese are starting to turn a nice golden-brown color.
  6. Remove from heat, allow to cool for a few minutes, and serve while cheese is still stringy and melty. Enjoy it messy!

2. Sandwich

• 6 slices of brioche bread 
  • 1 cup gravy
  • 1 cup chopped turkey breast
  • 1 cup stuffing 
  • 1/2 cup cranberry sauce
  • 1/2 sweet potato casserole
  • 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoon grainy mustard
  • green leaf lettuce

Directions

1. Place two slices on a plate and cover with gravy. Set aside. 
  2. Divide 1 and 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise and 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of grainy mustard even among two slices of bread and spread in a thin layer to coat.
  3. Arrange lettuce on each slice and top with 1/2 cup of turkey. Divide sweet potato casserole evenly between the two sandwiches and spread to coat.
  4. Top each sandwich with a gravy-soaked “Moist Maker” and spread 1/2 cup stuffing on top of the bread. 
  5. Divide the cranberry sauce between two sandwiches. Spread the remaining bread with the mayonnaise and mustard. Top each sandwich with the remaining bread.

3. Salad

• 1 cup shredded cooked turkey
  • 1/2 cup cubed cooked ham
  • 1/2 sweetened dried cranberries, chopped
  • 1 hard-cooked egg, diced
  • 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped 
  • 1/4 light mayonnaise
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Combine the turkey, ham, cranberries, eggs, and basil in a mixing bowl.
  2. Stir in the mayonnaise.
  3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4. Pizza

• 1 1/2 cups turkey gravy 
  • 1 lb turkey sausage, cooked and crumbled
  • 2 cups turkey breast
  • 1 cup celery
  • 24 inches thin pizza crust (or two 12 inches already baked or prepared crusts)
  • 2 cups of part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 teaspoon sage
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Spread half of gravy over top of each pizza.
  3. Arrange half of sausage, turkey and celery over each pizza.
  4. Sprinkle half a teaspoon of each spice over each pizza
  5. Evenly spread on cup of cheese over each pizza.
  6. Bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.

5. Casserole

• 1 (6oz) package Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Turkey
  • 4 cups chopped leftover roasted turkey
  • 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
  • 3/4 cup Kraft Mayo Real Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip Dressing
  • 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
  • 1 cup Kraft shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika

Directions

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Prepare stuffing as directed on package; spread onto bottom of 13×9 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
  3. Combine turkey, mixed vegetables, and mayo; spoon over stuffing.
  4. Mix potatoes and cheese; spread over turkey mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
  5. Bake 30 to 40 min or until heated through. 

These recipes truly save the agony of eating the same Thanksgiving plate for about a week straight. Work with these in attempts to reinvent your meal and become a new chef in the family. Happy Holidays! Enjoy! 

Da'Zhane Johnson is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University. She often finds herself eagerly waiting in a Starbucks line, or happily looking for new coffee orders to add to her collection. Her major is Mass Media Arts with a hard concentration in journalism, so in her spare time, she's usually writing. To read more of her articles, check her out on Instagram @bydazh!