This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Oh, fall! The gorgeous leaves, the smells of pumpkin spice, the best holiday season: this season is definitely at the top of our list. However, the in-between weather is a whole different story!

The weather in Atlanta can be very unpredictable, to say the least; it can go from being sunny to rainy and dreary or cold and windy to hot and sticky just like that!

We can never really know how to dress properly for the day. We may go to class in sweaters, heavy jackets and scarves, and when we come out onto the promenade, it feels like we should be wearing tees and shorts. It’s so crazy how we can go from chilly to summertime weather in just a few hours.

The key to dressing for this crazy transitioning weather is to wear basic pieces and, most importantly, layering. The two go hand in hand, as it is much easier to layer basic pieces than it would be to do so with bold, statement pieces. For those fluctuating temperature days, start with a blank palette of a plain tee and jeans. Layer items like a light bomber jacket or cardigan, flannels, scarves and/or hats to create a warm and functional look, using pieces that can easily be removed and stowed away or tied around the waist when the temperature rises. For those days where the rain comes out of nowhere, add pieces like a leather jacket or a cute light rain jacket to stay dry.

In this rainy and dreary stage in weather that the city in currently in, all I want to wear are beanies, crewneck sweatshirts and chucks. But even the most basic outfit can be executed in style. Two very important attributes to an overall look contribute to attaining this style goal–attitude and accessories! When you have some dope accessories, your outfit goes from drab to fab in an instant. And we all know that with the right attitude, you could rock a trash bag and still be the hottest thing on le runway promenade!

It is also important to always have a go-to outfit in mind, or an outfit, or variations of an outfit, that one would constantly gravitate towards. Utilize those favorite fall pieces, whether it is a wide-brimmed fedora, leather jacket, unity scarf, denim jacket or even a particular style of dress presented by designers or celebrities. Black is definitely easy to work with; you can NEVER go wrong with an all-black palette. Popular colors for the fall are also neutrals (nudes, grays, blush tones, white, earth tones) and those bold favorites (burgundy/wine, navy, forest green, jewel tones). Whether you’re rocking a monochromatic look, colorblocking or your favorite pop of color, you’ll be sure to look amazing this fall season…even if the weather does not agree.

In this fall season, one can never go wrong with black, demin, neutral colors, jewel-tones or anything oversized. The fall season is definitely one of the best seasons for fashion, so you had better should have fun with your wardrobe while you can! 

Happy dressing!

Shatay Speights is a Clark Atlanta University senior, majoring in Fashion Merchandising from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. She has a passion for fashion, journalism, and inspiring young women around her, all of which she plans to tie into her budding fashion/ journalism career. Shatay is currently the Managing Editor for Her Campus CAU and Fashion Editor for her school newspaper (The CAU Panther). She enjoys reading, writing, shopping, being around friends and family, volunteering, and staying up on the latest news in fashion and entertainment. Follow Shatay on IG and Twitter at @fashionsinatra !