This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

As a college student working a part-time job during finals, I will say that life has been overwhelming lately. Days are starting to mesh together, and it feels as though there is not enough time in the day to get everything done. Assignments are due at 11:59 pm, I go to work at four and on top of that, I still have to study for finals. I have always been bad at time management, but lately, I have had to buckle down and schedule my life. I know I am not the only one who struggles with this, so here are a few tips

woman with her head on her desk with books open around her
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

1. Set Your Alarm A Day Ahead

Assignments sneak up on students all the time, so what I do is trick my brain into thinking the assignment is due a day before it actually is. If it is due on a Tuesday, I will set three alarms for Monday. One in the morning, afternoon, and right after I get off of work. It reinforces a sense of urgency for me, so I am more likely to start the assignment. It also lightens the load of things to do for the following day. 

2. Start Projects Early

I am not a fan of starting projects right away. Truthfully, I will wait for the same day it is due to start, but that is self-sabotaging behavior. Instead, work on assignments and projects bit by bit. Set a goal of writing a paragraph, slide, etc. a day, in order to get it done faster. By the time it is due, it will be finished or close to it. 

3. Prioritize

As college students, we want to go out, hang with friends and have fun. It is natural. Just make sure your work is done beforehand. It is hard to say “no” to going out but think of the outcome. There will always be days where you can hang out with your friends. There are also days where you can do the work when you have to take the class over. So weigh those options and decide which you would rather do. 

woman using laptop in bed
Photo by Vlada Karpovich from Pexels

4. Take A Break

I know a break does not fit in the schedule right now, but doing tasks back to back can be overwhelming. Breaks are essential to calm the mind and body. When calm things seem more possible. Clear your mind, steady your breathing and take a couple of minutes to collect yourself. It will help more than you know.

The background are leaves with the hot pink neon sign "breathe"
Photo by Fabian Moller from Unsplash

I practice these tips myself and they help me a lot. Everyone is different and should find what helps them, especially in this stressful time, but definitely give these a try. 

My name is Destiny Brooks and I am from Atlantic City, New Jersey. I attend Clark Atlanta University, majoring in mass media arts, with a concentration in radio,tv, film and a minor in theatre. My interests lie in the entertainment industry and and all aspects of Black life. In 2019 I wrote a review on the movie Black Panther, which was published in the Stockton Argo, my previous school’s newspaper.