Life > Academics

The Rules Are Fake – Break Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Number one tip: the rules are fake.

From the time you start school you have administration telling you what type of person you need to be, what you need to wear, or how you need to act. And it’s all based on what—their rules.

Before we had to follow them because we were under the influence of a thing called authority. Don’t get me wrong there are some rules that need to be set into place to make sure we’re not running around like savages but that doesn’t mean majority of the rules in place are as fake as a $3 bill.

The new sense of freedom and independence you feel once you start college is one needed and is one you will have to fight for. 

As college students we sign ourselves away into loads of debt for our dream school and not a near head will turn. The illusion of our dream school of how we will be treated, how our classes will go, and how our social life wlll flourish. News flash: it’s not real.

Take it from me, a person who thought they were going to be walking onto their college campus after Covid-19 came and went after two weeks.

Silly me.

Breaking the rules does not mean act in chaos but it does mean take a stand in what you believe. These colleges and universities will take advantage of their students and act with deception mainly because no one takes action – consistent action. Administrators are strong bulls that will stay in their place until pushed with enough force. So that’s what you do – make them move. 

Whether it be about Title X, dress code, changes to the curriculum or the removal of school personnel. If you feel something needs to happen – make it happen. 

Take for example, Morehouse Alum, Samuel L. Jackson put the board of trustees of institution Morehouse College in a room and locked them inside demanding change in their school’s curriculum. Morehouse college made those changes very quickly but not without expelling Mr. Jackson first.

Now we don’t need anyone not getting a refund on the thousands of dollars they spent but we do want to see progressive action happening on issues that the student body are concerned about.

Fast forward to present time within the AUC; the treatment towards our upperclassmen and the constant issue with housing is unacceptable, especially when they have had more than enough time to make and execute a plan to benefit their students. The lack of communication and accountability has been happening for years but needs to stop today. The student body has to speak up and be heard across the seven seas. Change can happen whether they make you think it can or cannot. Each new student that becomes inducted into their school has a responsibility to make it a better place for the next one.

Stand for something or you will fall for anything.

Ashley Pitt is a second year Mass Media student with minor in Sociology at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University. Her interests involve the entertainment industry as well as shedding light on topics hidden from the media. Having a passion to show authenticity in society, she documents her truth through her writing and as well on other social media platforms!