This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

We know you missed us, but it’s okay, we’re back! As your music plug, we have constructed a list of a few albums from Summer ’17 that you may have forgotten to check out while you were living under your rock. 

1. SZA: CtrlYou ever heard an album that completely exposed the male sex and called them out on all their bull? THIS… Is that album. I can’t even pick a favorite song, it’s that good. Ctrl was released June 9, and SZA does an amazing job of collectively demolishing the male population and what most of them stand for while keeping it real and relatable for a woman. She gave women a sense of empowerment, showing that it’s okay to be themselves and take what they want when it comes to relationships.

2. H.E.R.: H.E.R., Vol. 2

I didn’t want H.E.R. Vol 1. to ever end, but sadly, after 23 minutes, it did. H.E.R. Vol. 2 is only 4 minutes longer, but there were a couple more songs that I felt in my soul, so I didn’t mind. It is is short, sweet, and to the point yet still manages to be a mixture of love, heartbreak, and savagery. As an artist, she is no doubt becoming one of my favorites, and although this secret singer’s identity has apparently been uncovered, I still like the mystery behind the music.

Faves: “Every Kind of Way,” “Gone Away,” “Changes”

3. DJ Khaled: Grateful

Grateful was DEFINITELY one of the most hyped and anticipated albums of the early summer. With DJ Khaled’s adorable son Asahd Khaled as the executive producer, this 90-minute long album did not disappoint. Huge names like Bey & Jay, Rihanna, Travis Scott, Nas, Chance the Rapper, PARTYNEXTDOOR, Calvin Harris, and pretty much everyone else in the music industry were featured on one or more of these lit tracks. 

Faves: “Wild Thoughts,” “I’m the One,” “I Love You So Much”

4. Jay Z: 4:44

Jay-Z leapt into his bag of tricks and emerged with 4:44, using the influence that he has to positively impact his fan base. The title track for the album, “4:44,” is an open confession and apology to Beyonce, who exposed him last year through her album Lemonade. “The Story of O.J.” is Jay-Z’s way of giving us all financial advice and emphasizing how financial freedom is the best thing you could have as a black person.

Faves: “Family Feud”

5. 2 Chainz: Pretty Girls Like Trap Music

It is true, in fact, that pretty girls DO like trap music. 2 Chainz’ album is filled with dope beats and big names in the industry including Swae Lee and Pharrell. Following the release of his album, in Atlanta, 2 Chainz opened a pop-up Trap Salon where “Pretty Girls” got free mani/pedis for the day. Also in ATL, a bright pink trap house sits on Howell Mill Rd. for people to visit (I’m sure you’ve seen pictures.) 2 Chainz broke his leg recently, yet refused to cancel his tour and performed in a pink wheelchair instead. Talk about dedication.

Faves: “Riverdale Rd,” “4 AM,” “It’s a Vibe”

6. Calvin Harris: Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1

Scottish DJ Calvin Harris has created the ultimate “Summer mood” funk album. These songs honestly make me feel like I’m on a road trip on my way to the beach with my friends in an old drop top car. With so many super star names on these tracks like Migos, Future, Kehlani, and Snoop Dogg, you’re bound to find one you like.

Faves: “Rollin,” “Heatstroke,” “Faking It”

8. 21 Savage: Issa Album

After listening to Issa Album, I just feel like..I can cut off all of my friends and replace them with money and be perfectly fine. While the entire album follows a pattern of savage behavior, the song “FaceTime” offers a more sensitive-savage tone. Following the blowup in popularity over his phrase “Issa,” He also launched a website where you can upload a pic and hear 21 tell you what it is using “Issa.” 

Faves: “Bank Account,” “FaceTime,” “Numb”

9. Gucci Mane: Droptopwop

As we await the epic 10.17 wedding to his lovely fiance, Keyshia Ki’or, Gucci released a summer banger for all of ATL to bump in their cars. With hit songs “Met Gala” featuring Offset to the 5 Million Intro that started this album, it is without a doubt that Gucci Mane will continue iconic hits for us to listen to daily. DroptopWop is the album along with many other artists you can have on rotation. Each song creates a different mood while listening.

Other Releases:

Tyler the Creator: Flower Boy, Meek Mill: Wins & Losses, Aminé: Good For You, Lil Yachty: Teenage Emotions

From Lil Yatchy and Anime’s debut album to Tyler the Creator and Meek Mill giving all of us taste of what summer should be they never fail to enlist with a dosage of Lit Summer 17. Tell us what your favorite song is from each album and what song could you denote as your “Summer Anthem”?

Share to save a music lover’s life.

Hi! I'm Taelor Dorsey, a senior Early Childhood Education major with a minor in art from Cleveland, Ohio. 
Hey everyone, my name is Yasmyne Fisher. I'm currently the President/Co-Campus Correspondent at Clark Atlanta University. I am a graduating senior, majoring in Fashion Design. My passion is writing on what people want to read, whether it is fashion, pop culture, being black in America you name it I love giving my perspective of a college student to readers.