Sterling K. Brown Continues to Make History at the 2018 SAG Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

It was only weeks ago that “This Is Us” star, Sterling K. Brown, became the first black man to win a Golden Globe for a TV drama, as well as only a few months ago that he also became the first black actor to win an Emmy for outstanding lead actor in a drama series since 1998. He continued to make history on Sunday night at the 24th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards when he became the first African American to win the award for outstanding male actor in a drama series with teary eyes.

It’s clear that Brown still isn’t used to his overwhelming success by how visibly moved he was as he accepted speech 

“What a blessing it is to do what you love for a living,” Brown said. “What an honor it is to be recognized by your peers for a job well done. This room is a source of endless inspiration for me.”

He then went on to express his love to his fellow thespians in the audience.

“People call us weird and strange. The truth of the matter is everybody’s weird and strange and we just embrace ourselves for who we are. I love actors so much, I decided to marry one.”

You can check out his heartfelt speech here.

It was only moments after accepting his award that “This Is Us” won for best series. 

A reporter found Brown backstage in tears from his eventful night. 

“Man, I’m so happy,” he said. “These people, my cast has been so supportive of me. The fact that we get a chance to share in this moment together..? I can’t stop crying.”

Tune into This Is Us every Tuesday at 9pm EST on NBC.

My name is Lexi Zàhra. I'm a 22 year old senior at the esteemed Clark Atlanta University where I major in Mass Media Arts with a concentration in radio, television, & film. My interests are in all things art, most importantly music, poetry, and literature. It's an honor to write for Her Campus CAU and I hope you enjoy my content.