This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

In today’s society, there is one thing that we all have in common: Social Media

In our defense, social media can be hard to resist. Really hard! Especially while doing a lengthy paper, a  project or anything else that needs our undivided attention. However, the real question is, “how do I know if I’m addicted to social media?”

Symptoms

-When you cannot go a day without checking social media networks and apps 

– When you rather watch the latest SnapChat story than to engage in conversation with a person or group of people

– Making social media a priority. The first thing you check in the morning and the last thing you check before going to bed.

Addiction: is the fact or condition of being addicted to one particular thing, substance, or activity. In this case, the activity is social media. A social media addict is easily and frequently lured into social networks such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter (just to name a few). In addition to keeping up with other people’s selfies and statuses, social media addicts get a rush in talking about themselves on their social media. Researchers at Harvard University have found that self-disclosure communication stimulates the brain’s pleasure centers much like sex and food do.

So, what causes this addiction? I’m so glad you asked! There are many reasons why. Some people just REALLY like their social networks. Although it has not been proven that psychological disorders are the main causes of social media addiction, clinicians have observed symptoms of anxiety and depression in some individuals that spend large amounts of time on social media.

Diagnostics & Test 

For someone who wants to watch life pass them by, there is no cost to overusing social media, however, for us with goals to achieve, there is a huge cost. As college students, almost everything in our lives requires a DEADLINE. Whether it is in work or school, we cannot escape them. Therefore, we do not have time to be addicted to social media. Time simply does not allow it! Too much social media negatively affects a college student. It doesn’t stop with school. As humans, we all have an obligation to LIVE IN THE PRESENT. It is impossible to do so with our heads constantly looking down at our phones. Social media addiction gets in the way of friendships and relationships. Spending time with friends and family is time that we will never get back. Social media does not allow us to fully take in precious moments happening right in front of us. Remember, we can always go back and check out Beyonce’s latest Instagram post, but your entire family getting together for a game night only happens every blue moon. Take full advantage.

Treatment & Care

Many young adults have considered tackling this adiction by restricting themselves from using social media. This movement is called a social media cleanse

There is no medication to treat this exact addiction, however researchers have found that social media addiction could lead to other known addicions, such as drug abuse and alcohol abuse.

Watch the video, ” Can W Auto- Humanity?” by YouTuber Prince EA to gain social awareness of how this addiction mentally controls the mind of an indivual.

So the next time someone tells you, “You never get on your Instagram anymore,” just smile and respond, “I know. You should try it some time.”

I write things!