Miranda, Chapter President
Miranda, Chapter President
Miranda Perez
Life > Experiences

So, You Want to Be A HCCAU Girl?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Her Campus CAU is one of the most liberating, fun, and inclusive environments at Clark Atlanta University. The chapter started in 2015 and since then it has been producing articles and media that is trendy but yet challenging. Whether you want to be a journalist or a YouTube sensation, Her Campus will make sure there is a role for you and that you are taken care of.

When I first got accepted to Clark I got on YouTube and started searching up tons of videos about the campus. I stumbled upon the HerCampusCau channel and watched probably all of the videos they ever posted. From virtual campus tours to unpopular opinions, the HerCampusCAU YouTube page got me right and kept it real. It felt like I knew some of the girls from the YouTube team just because I had watched so many videos.

After getting situated at Clark, I made sure joining and devoting my time to Her Campus was a top priority. I spent a couple of days working on my application and refining it. I studied articles from The Fader, Complex, and other magazines to make sure my format and word choice were top-notch. I wrote about an upcoming R&B artist by the name of Snoh Aalegra. I also talked about how I had such a big passion for journalism and wanted to be part of what Her Campus stands for.

image of black women from unsplash for articles on the recent protests
Photo by Clarke Sanders from Unsplash

The interview process was a breeze as well. I sat in front of the E-board and we just talked about my passion for writing, what I wanted to do with HerCampus, and how I thought I would make a great fit. They were all so welcoming and the conversation was very easygoing. What was very helpful was that it was a group interview. Me and two others were able to bounce off one another and also potentially see how well we would work together.

Getting that email that I was a part of the editorial team was such a big moment for me. Meeting the rest of the team and getting acquainted was so nice. Girls that had been there for a year or two were welcoming and made sure to let me know that as long as I had that drive to work, I had nothing to worry about.

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

The bonds and nature of the Her Campus organization are something just DIFFERENT (in a good way of course!). Every girl (and guy) in the org makes sure you’re okay. There have been times when I was super busy with schoolwork and was inactive in the group chat. In response, team members and Eboard would send me a cute text. Sometimes I got behind on work and had to submit an article late, but my team made sure that everything I had going on alright and assured that they too had been where I been.  When we get on FaceTime meetings, we can get off-topic so quickly just because we are excited to see one another and chat about just anything. I can talk about anything with everyone in Her Campus.

Her Campus CAU is a powerful sisterhood that brings women that share a passion for working in media together. It teaches lifelong lessons of resilience and determination that you can’t get anywhere else! Click the links below to apply: 

YouTube: https://www.cognitoforms.com/HerCampusCAU3/YouTubeContentCreatorApplicationFall2020

Social Media: https://www.cognitoforms.com/HerCampusCAU3/SocialMediaContentCreatorApplicationFall2020

Editorial: https://www.cognitoforms.com/HerCampusCAU3/Fall2020EditorialContributorApplication

Chassee'Palmer is a Senior Mass Media arts with a concentration in Journalism attending Clark Atlanta University.She was born and raised in Charleston,South Carolina so she has a strong love for seafood and beaches. She loves skin care products and whenever she gets bored she tends to online shop (ALOT). You can follow her on instagram @chas.see to view her various shopping hauls.