Style

The Racist Ad That is Threatening Dolce & Gabbana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

In the age of media it is almost far too easy for huge corporations to miss the mark on their advertisement, and ultimately reveal the negative aspects of their company culture. In 2018 alone some of America’s most trusted and valued companies have release “controversial” and fundamentally racist advertisements. From Dove, to Heineken, and now most recently Dolce & Gabbana company’s failed attempts in creativity has allowed tremendous room for backlash and well deserved sale drops.

Dolce & Gabbana is a luxury Italian owned fashion company with pieces at minimum priced at $200. The company is known for its dedication to Italian culture as well as its ability to dress the modern woman who has the sex appeal that is often contrasted by masculine pieces. Though a European brand, one of the company’s largest markets are in China. This explains their constant cross-cultural advertisement that, this time around, have landed them in hot water.

The most recent Dolce & Gabbana ad, seen here, features a Chinese woman confusingly using chopsticks to eat Italian food. The ad is accompanied by a voiceover instructing the woman how to use her chopsticks and for what. This act has been deemed as completely disrespectful by Chinese consumers as their culture and intelligence has been undermined for the amusement of others.  To make matters worse, the Dolce & Gabbana Official Instagram account has been exposed for sending out direct messages to Chinese consumers who were expressing their concern and disdain of the ad and the company. The Dolce & Gabbana company responded in a dismissive manner noting that the company “does not need the Chinese” to succeed.

Shortly after the screenshots of the direct messages the company announced that the account was “hacked” and it was an “unfortunate event” to take place. Dolce & Gabbana have also released a public apology video to be seen here to address the advertisement and its intention.

In the modern world, there is little to no time for public relation scandals, especially those attacking the prevalent topics of race, ethnicity, and culture. Far too often do huge companies depend on apology videos to fix the exposes of their true essence, values, and beliefs. There will come a time in which ethnic consumers refuse to believe such mistakes can be made when there are presently so many resources available to prevent said offensive acts. The future of Dolce & Gabbana’s success in the Chinese market is now dependent on their next moves in public relations and advertising. If the offense continues that leaves the demographic and its allies no other choice but to support brands who support them.

Miranda is a Junior Mass Media Arts Major Print Journalism Concentration at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University. Hailing from Chicago, IL, Miranda is looking to write for the politically conscious, fashion-forward, and everyone in between. Feel free to connect with her via social media as well as through LinkedIn!