Halloween Hub Concept 2019 Static Hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Halloween Hub Concept 2019 Static Hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Spooky season, aka Halloween, of course. Like many others, I love it when Halloween rolls around. But this year, it will be different. Because of COVID for some, Halloween has been canceled, which means no trick or treating. It’s very upsetting, but I choose the safety of myself and others over free candy. So, since we’ll have to stay inside this year, here are five activities you can do inside to celebrate Halloween.

Jack-O-Laterns
Photo by rescueram3 from Pixabay

1. Halloween Party 

Everyone loves a good Halloween party, and you and the people in your home can throw your own. Go to Party City, Spirit, Walmart, or Amazon, and buy all the decorations you need to make a scary good party. Each person can have a task: decorating, baking the goods, providing food and snacks, everything that makes a good party. I understand some people may want to spend the holiday with friends, so go on facetime and party with your friends or take it to Instagram Live and let anyone join. The bigger the party, the more fun. And trick or treating may be a no go, but you can still dress up, which leads me to my next activity to do.

2. Costume Competition

Nothing puts me in the Halloween mood more than dressing up. We may have to stay inside, but we can still dress up. And if we’re going to dress up, might as well see who can do it the best. You can get costumes from several stores, or you can get creative with it. Make your own costumes with only what you have in your closet/home or use items found at the dollar store. This is a challenge that is sure to make everyone laugh. What crazy ideas can you bring to life? Can you make a better costume than your roommate or your mom? Let’s find out and be sure of no biased judges, make a poll on your social media and let your followers vote. 

3. Bake Off 

You’re going to get hungry and in the mood for some Halloween treats, so do a bake-off. Candy apples, ghost cookies, etc. My personal favorite is caramel apples. And for extra fun, I try to dye the caramel green, emphasis on try. Even though it might not have turned out the way I wanted, it’s a part of the fun. Create new goodies with your family. Bake the tastiest treats you can think of while keeping the theme of Halloween. You can judge on taste, presentation, originality, and decorating. 

Pinterest

4.  Decorating Challenge 

This is my second favorite idea on the list. One of the great things about Halloween is decorating, and many look forward to it every year. We all know that one house that has their decorations up in September, patiently waiting for October. So for this challenge, break the family up into teams and pick a room in the house. The person or team with the best decor wins the challenge. Simple but fun. Everyone has that one family member that thinks they’re a party decorator anyway, so put them to the test. This is a challenge that has no limits. Use old decorations or buy new ones, whatever it takes to be, “Your Household’s Next Top Decorator.” 

*Bonus*

Before getting to the final activity to do on my list, here’s a bonus. Set up your own game of Clue. This is a game you can play at any time of the year, but it is especially fun during Halloween. Get into character by dressing up, put on the theatrics, and find the imposter among you. 

5. Halloween Movie Marathon 

This is my number one pick on the list. Although I’ve listed some fun activities, there’s nothing better than sitting with your family, watching Halloween movies. Make some snacks, get cozy under a blanket, and enjoy a good fright fest. There is an abundance of films and shows dedicated to the holiday. Put your family on to some new movies or your favorite Halloween movie. Take this time to enjoy your family or a limited number of friends’ company.

Twitter/Guillermo Del Toro

Halloween this year is going to be different, but different isn’t bad. These are just a few things you can do to make your holiday a little more fun and personalized. This year it’s all up to you to make your own fun. Bake cookies, dress up, watch movies, enjoy your holiday. Happy Halloween!

My name is Destiny Brooks and I am from Atlantic City, New Jersey. I attend Clark Atlanta University, majoring in mass media arts, with a concentration in radio,tv, film and a minor in theatre. My interests lie in the entertainment industry and and all aspects of Black life. In 2019 I wrote a review on the movie Black Panther, which was published in the Stockton Argo, my previous school’s newspaper.