“Posh and Political” Spotlight of the Week: Women Who are Making Their Marks on Student Leadership at CAU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

If you haven’t heard the name Maxine Mathis, you soon will.

Earlier this year, CAU students witnessed the explosive controversy surrounding a Howard University student’s Twitter post speaking regarding how, although Clark Atlanta is predominantly a female institution, all of the presidential seats within the Student Government Association were occupied by males. Some applauded the student’s comments in agreement; others criticized her perspective claiming that it “lacked research and solid facts.”

Whether the student’s comments were correct or incorrect, the basis of her argument was irrefutable: for the 2016-2017 school year, there were no women who held administrative positions within the SGA.

But Maxine Mathis, the courageous Junior Criminal Justice major from the south side of Chicago says she is here to change that!

With her platform inspired by “Coloring Book,” a musical album by the popular rap artist and Chicago native Chance the Rapper, Maxine Mathis, is looking to add a pop of color to the CAU student government and her institution, but she is inviting the CAU student body to color with her.

“I just want a school where everyone’s voices are heard, not just the select few students we see all the time,” Mathis explained when asked what she wishes to change at CAU.

Her three-prong political approach to fixing the issues of her institution—increasing campus involvement, transforming student leadership, and mending alumni relations, are at the forefront of her campaign. “After talking to students about what could be improved at CAU, I found that these three areas lay the heaviest on students’ minds.”

Mathis’ love for her institution and love for the student body is what makes her a leader at CAU. From her involvement with the CAU Orientation Guide Corps to her service as the Junior Class Vice President, Max is no new-comer to student involvement nor student leadership.

“At the end of the day, I’m just trying to be great,” Mathis concluded when asked what she wished to accomplish if elected CAU SGA President, “I’m just trying to be the leader that students would be proud of. One that students would remember years from now and say, ‘She fought for us. She listened. She did exactly what she said she would do.’”

A great leader. A great candidate. And a great panther. She doesn’t need to try because she already is.

Great job, Max! Do it for the ladies!

Greetings, I am Imara! I'm a senior English major from Campti, Louisiana. I love spoken word poetry, reading, and learning about the American judicial system. I aspire to one day become a criminal defense attorney, activist, and a political commentator on CNN. I am elated to join the Her Campus team!
I'm Alexis White, one of the founders of Her Campus CAU! Just a (not so) regular smegular entertainment professional. I have an eye for great movies, an ear for talent, and a Mac to make silly award-winning scripts! Therefore, I am a triple threat.