Overthinking About Homecoming?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

So, it’s finally October, which means chilly weather, different colored leaves, Halloween, midterms… and of course homecoming! Although high school homecomings are quite different from college homecomings, I was always excited about homecoming week. From dressing up each day to the football game and then to the dance, I was excited for it all. But now I’m in college and it’s supposed to be one hundred times better.

Everyone’s excited and going shopping for homecoming, but i’m just sitting here like “woah, let’s calm down.” I feel like i’m the only one who isn’t hype about homecoming. Actually, I get tired from thinking about it. Homecoming week is full of on-campus events from day to night. LOL, what is sleep? The way the itinerary is looking, we (the students) will not be getting any. How are we supposed to attend all of our classes when there’s a lituation going on every night? I need answers because it’s just not realistic! Hopefully teachers won’t be expecting one hundred percent from their students, because if they are, they are not going to get it. They might get a good fifty percent, or seventy on a good day. Oops, I forgot to mention midterms. CAU’s midterms are scheduled the week before homecoming. Some people see homecoming as being a release from the stress from midterms, but then again how is an over thinker supposed to focus on midterms when everybody is talking about homecoming?

First, thinking about homecoming annoyed me and made my head hurt which may sound odd. But now, all of a sudden, I’m not as stressed about it (well I still don’t understand how a person is supposed to go to class ready to learn, but I’ll worry about that later). Now I’m actually excited for the festivities. How could I feel one way about homecoming and then out of no where, feel the complete opposite? I have come to the conclusion that it is because I stopped thinking about it too much. To those who’s thoughts are also a mess when thinking about homecoming, try not to think about it as often. It’s easier said than done when that’s what everyone is talking about, but it IS possible. One way to stop overthinking is to just go with the flow. Stop trying to plan out each day, detail by detail. Trying to dissect everything can really make you think that you aren’t going to have enough time in the day. If you are anything like me and went as far as going on the website to look at the very detailed list of events and times…stop. Just stop. Don’t worry about all of that right now. Only care when the day gets here; it’s not that deep.

Another thing that’s common to overthink about when it comes to homecoming are the clothes. OMG, poppin out has never been so important until now. The game, concert, and fashion show are understandable, but for the whole week? I literally have spent so much time trying to figure out which outfit I’m going to wear to which event and if it will be “good enough”. Honestly though, why am I planning out each day’s fit when I don’t even know what I’m going to be wearing for the next two days? That’s another thing that you should just wait until the time comes to do. I’m not saying to not get all of your outfits together, but what I am saying is that it’s not necessary to pick a certain outfit for each event. There’s a good chance that you might change your mind, so why stress yourself out about it now? Wait until the time comes for you to decide on an outfit you’re feeling; your mind won’t be as cluttered.

At the end of the day, homecoming can be the best experience ever if you allow it. Overthinking everything can really ruin your outlook on it and may make you come off as a Debbie Downer to your friends. It’s okay to be a little anxious because you don’t know what to expect, but don’t do the most. Everything will fall into place if you let it. Happy Homecoming SZN!

Photo credits: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/12/27/how-to-stop-overthinking/

Born and raised in Covington,GA , Jayla Ores is a freshmen at the Illustrious Clark Atlanta University. She is majoring in Mass Media with hopes of having her own talk show.