Wellness > Mental Health

Neo-Soul:Some of The Best Music To Get You Through The Rest Of The Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

It’s about that time! The semester is coming to an end very slowly. With only four weeks (yes FOUR) left in the semester, seniors are about the cross the stage while us other students are about to register for classes once again! As the semester comes to an end, students emotions are very different. Some were excited about summer vacations, study abroad opportunities and internships. While some students are debating whether or not they need to withdraw from a class or not.

A way to cope with this inflaux of emotions, I always turn up some Neo-Soul music to sort through my emotions. In this article, I want to share some of the best Neo-Soul artists that I love that most definitely contributes to the methods that I used to have a successful semester.

1. Erykah Badu:

Ms. Erykah Badu is one of my all-time favorite Neo-soul artists. She is someone I have to listen to every day or if I know my day is bound to be a whole mess. Some of my favorite Badu songs are: Fall In Love (Your Funeral), 20 Feet Tall Me, Out My Mind, Just In Time 

These songs are very deep and meaningful to me. Every song also explains a situation that I have been in within my life and has helped me overcome them. I have a total of 28 Erykah Badu songs on my phone. Her music gives off positive energy that everyone needs in their life. To just have her music playing, while burning some Palo Santos, your space is bound to be filled with positivity. This atmoosphere can come in handy with these finals coming up! 

2. Jill Scott:

I love me some Jilly From Philly! Her music is so soothing to a point in which I feel as if I can fall asleep to her music. She has a tone with her voice that I can’t explain. But her music is well appreciated in my playlist. Her music and slow melody calm me down when I am feeling like I am going to snap at any time of the day. Some of the favorite Scott songs are: 1) He Loves Me, 2) The Way (live), 3) Le Boom Vent Suite. I have a total of 10 Jill Scott songs in my playlist, it’s not many songs but I love those ones that I do have.

3. India.Arie: 

I started listening to India.Arie kind of late in my life. But as I did more research about her and listening to her music, I then gained to love her just as much as I love any other artists. India. Arie’s style of Neo-Soul is different but I love it at the same time. Her songs can be played at a party and I would want to get up and dance to it. Her style is also creative, and her ability to play the guitar makes her live performances even better. Some of my favorite India. Arie songs are: 1) There’s Hope, 2) Chocolate High, 3) Brown Skin, 4) I am not my hair. Her song “There’s Hope” really comes in handy when my spirits are down. That song reminds me that I should be grateful for what I have. Her music is great to listen to on days you need to calm down and get your thoughts together.

4. Musiq Soulchild:

Somebody else from Philly! I love this man’s music with all of my heart. Although most of his music focuses on relationships, it’s different to hear a male sing about relationship problems, over the typical form of rap. I have been listening to Musiq since I was probably born thanks to my mother. Some of my favorite songs are: 1) Poparatzi, 2) Halfcrazy, 3) Yes, 4) Who knows. I have a total of 14 of his songs in my playlist, and those songs can be in rotation all day and I can sing them all. His music is so passionate from a males point of view and I love the melody to all his music. Something I also love about his music is that they are all stories and it flows perfectly.

I think everyone should listen to these artists if you need some positive music in your life to give you motivational messages and energy. This music is made for those who need it. For those who are maybe struggling and need a push in the right direction to finish this semester off, take a listen to some good-ole neo-soul and keep it together! You got this!

Hey! I am Terri Blige a Senior English Major with a Concentration of Creative Writing at Thee Clark Atlanta University. I am from Connecticut. I am proud to say that I am a writer for HerCampusCAU