Meet Lakeeda Johnson, Class of 2018!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Name: Lakeeda Johnson

Classification: Second Semester Junior

Major: Mass Media Arts

Concentration: Television/Radio/Film

Minor: Business Administration

Hometown: I am a VERY PROUD native of Butner, North Carolina!

Relationship Status: Single

Organizations on Campus: University Choir

Why did you decide to choose Clark Atlanta University? Before transferring to CAU, I attended Vance Granville Community College back in my hometown, due to the rejection letter that I received from my dream institution. I was fresh out of high school, so in my mind I had the future all planned out. I always tell people how much of a blessing it was for me to not have been accepted into the University of North Carolina Charlotte, because CAU would not have been on my list.  Within that two year span of attending community college, I no longer dreamed of attending UNCC after researching the top HBCU’S located in Georgia that would best suit my major. CAU happened to appear as one of the top institutions on google, so I conducted further research, and found myself submitting my application online a few months later!

What were your reasons for transferring? Not only did the MMA department represent itself well, but I felt that it was important for me to become deeply rooted in my culture. I figured, “What better way to understand myself other than being around proud black people who are all striving for the same thing as me without stopping to look back? Excellence!

You did amazing at the Talent Show during CAU Experience. Do you enjoy singing amongst a large audience? NO! NOT AT ALL!  I am so shy; however, I intentionally place myself in circumstances that will facilitate self-growth.  Doing things like performing certain songs to challenge my vocal strength while making it look natural forces me out of my comfort zone.  I refuse to be controlled by my fears.

What are your short term and long term goals before the school year ends? I have a deep passion for seeing other girls and women grow.  Literally!  I would like to bring and sprinkle some of the greatness from CAU to the middle and high school ladies by starting a club based on the problems that we encounter every day in this male-dominated world. It is also a desire of mine to become more involved on campus.  I do not like jumping into organizations without knowing enough information to join! Lastly, I would like to create my own website and Youtube channel!

Do you consider yourself a fashionista? If so, who are your inspirations? I would like to think so.  Having your own style means that there is freedom in rocking whatever the hell you want without any apologies. To me, style is a form of art.  It’s not just about what I wear, but it’s about how I choose to carry myself as a woman. Tracee Ellis Ross, Victoria Beckham and Kerry Washington are my style inspirations who never fail to give me eyegasms.  I opt for the unique, edgy, classy, COMFORTABLE and sophisticated styles.

Describe yourself in three words and why did you pick them? Effervescent, relatable, and old…  Even though I am bubbly and relatable, in my body lives an old southern woman who’d rather have a movie night over partying with friends!

If you could listen to any musical artist for the rest of your life, who would you pick? Can we make this plural!? lol Teena Marie, Anita Baker, and Luther Vandross!

As the fall semester comes to a close, what was your favorite memory thus far? During experience week, there was a women’s empowerment event that I was definitely not about to attend, but I am so thankful that I decided to go. I met my CAU sis there.

Atlanta can be considered the land of opportunity for black people, what would you think the “Hollywood of the South” could offer you? I moved here for self-growth. Therefore, I believe certain opportunities will force me to step out of my comfort zone in order to achieve my goals. With the increasing population, the only option left, is to be aggressive with making dreams come alive.

What event has impacted you the most as a person and student? Now that I am finally able to vote for whomever I believe should be in office, it is important to do research on the candidate, and choose the person based off of their plans to improve our country. Many are choosing Clinton based off of her gender, so physically being at the event helped me to realize that it’s more than just a woman being granted the power in calling the shots.

Hey everyone, my name is Yasmyne Fisher. I'm currently the President/Co-Campus Correspondent at Clark Atlanta University. I am a graduating senior, majoring in Fashion Design. My passion is writing on what people want to read, whether it is fashion, pop culture, being black in America you name it I love giving my perspective of a college student to readers.