The Manipulation of Black Culture for White Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Some of your favorite white celebs are back at it again with their appropriation of black fashion (surprised?). About a year ago, cultural appropriation became the topic of mainstream media’s conversation, and everyone learned what it actually was. For people who still are not sure, cultural appropriation is when a specific part of a culture is taken by a race it does not belong to without regarding the significance of the item or thing that they are appropriating. For example, if a white person wears a bindi to a music festival that would be considered cultural appropriation because they are not valuing the significance of that accessory to the Indian culture.

Recently, the infamous Kim Kardashian has been all over her social media accounts in her “boxer braids” as she calls it. As soon as she posted these pics of her, of course the internet went crazy! She received so much praise for her “edgy” look. But the black community knows all too well that these CORNROWS are nothing that was praised growing up. However, it seems as if Kim’s appropriation of this black hairstyle has made black women more comfortable to rock their boxer braids, cornrows, or whatever you prefer to call it. Braids have now become the new summer hairstyle for POC and non POC! How do we feel about that?

My name is Chelsea Michael from Brooklyn, New York. I am a freshman fashion merchandising major