This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

I’m single (again) this Valentine’s Day. Instead of staying home, sulking, I’ve been thinking of ways to enjoy this day as if I were in a loving, happy relationship. Here are a few tips I’ve put together for all of us.

1. Send a Gift to Your Mom or Dad

My Mom has always been my Valentine for as long as I can remember. Whether it’s a box of heart-shaped donuts or a teddy bear with a cute little message, she’s done it. This year, I’m away at school but I’ve been thinking of ways to make my mom feel a bit more special. I’ve decided to send her a special gift to her job so she can brag to her coworkers about her special ‘Valentine’ (ME).

2. Buy Your Friend (or Roommate) a Gift

It’s pretty easy to forget that the people around you feel the same way about the “Lover’s Holiday.” My roommate is single this year too, and I think it would be nice to treat her to something she loves. Knowing my roommate, that would be wine or chicken wings with ranch dressing on the side. Treat your roommate to something she/he loves!

3. Go Out (Or Stay In) for Dinner or Lunch With a Friend

Food is the quickest way to my heart. A little friend date to just about any Mexican restaurant will have me in loooooove. Pro Tip: When the bill comes, pay it as a gift to your friend.

4. A Gift for a Stranger

I’m not sure about you, but I’ll probably have to work on Valentine’s Day. I’ll be seeing about a hundred couples coming in and out of my job, enjoying quality time together. It would be great if I could do something special, like buy a dessert or a drink for a couple or for someone treating themselves to dinner, alone.

5. A Gift for Yourself

What do you like to do, alone? Read, eat, sing, exercise? Do a lot of that and then treat yourself to 8+ hours of sleep to prepare yourself for the next day.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a boring, sad day for the singles. Let’s join together and make the best out of it.

Hi! I'm Aliyah, a Senior Business Administration major with a concentration in marketing from PG County, Maryland. I spend my time watching YouTube videos, Netflix and reading books. I love all things storytelling.
Miranda is a Junior Mass Media Arts Major Print Journalism Concentration at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University. Hailing from Chicago, IL, Miranda is looking to write for the politically conscious, fashion-forward, and everyone in between. Feel free to connect with her via social media as well as through LinkedIn!