This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Black women have carried the torch of rocking numerous hairstyles, since the beginning of time. From hair braiding to weaves to wigs and head wraps, black women have been the innovators of hairstyling for many generations and will continue into the future. Nowadays, some cultures “recreate” OUR hairstyles and use different names to make it a “trend” even though it has been apart of our culture and heritage forever. But, what they fail to realize is that we have the magical hair that can be transformed into versatile styles that no one else can do but US!!

Let’s take a look at one of original hairstyles that we continue to rock today,since woman was created. CORNROWS!! Cornrows, braids, individual braids, box braids, tree braids, you name it we have worn this unique style dating back to our ancestors when braiding was a form of kinship, age, and religion. Africans had a distinction between who was who based on the complexity of the braids and how it was worn. Now, braids have manifested into hundreds of styles that little black girls have worn on their heads as toddlers to womanhood, worn as a protective style.

Next we have weaves/wigs. Another style black women have made a piece of our own for many years. Before there was weaves, there was wigs and if you ever had a grandmother or great-grandmother who switched her hair frequently and never knew how, more than likely she was wearing a wig. Wigs dated back into the 1700s when Europeans wore wigs as a sign of wealth, but we forget that there were very few African Americans who wore wigs even though they played an essential role of black hair for next generations to come. Fast forward to the 20th century, wigs have become a staple item if women wanted to spice up their outfit as an everyday woman or entainer performing on stage for millions! Believe it or not, wigs haven’t gone out “style” because in today’s society, some collegiettes wear wigs as a protective style from their natural hair just like your favorite celebrities do on a daily basis.

Now in regards to weaves, this hairstyle is the modification of the wigs that the majority of black women prefer simply because you have the ability to have some your hair left out, use closures or frontals, or in any way suitable to switch hairstyles consistently. I can speak on experience on wearing a weave, it is low maintenance, but you have to make sure your own hair is well kept. But, the joy in rocking weave is that you have the option to have straight, body or loose wave, curly, deep curly and even afro kinky for the naturalistas who still want to keep their hair as natural as possible. Weave has become the modern way of blackgirlslayage on an everyday basis and we appreciate it.

Lastly, we have head wraps and I personally love head wraps because they are such a fun, versatile hairstyle accessory that can be achieved by picking a plain or design headscarf. Ladies can simply wrapyour hair and it can be styled into various looks that can either hide a bad hair day or be a spicy accessory piece to an outfit. Originally, head wraps were and still are used in Africa as a symbol of wealth and social status that eventually transformed into a sign of courage, American survival and cultural identity. What I love most about head wraps is the sense of power and self-worth; wearing them because it holds a purpose and black women have continuously worn them from generation to generation.

The magic behind black hair isn’t some philosophical theory that requires a lot of thinking and imagination; it is simply the idea that we as collegiettes and black women can do all things with our hair. It is something about black hair that defines us that others can’t seem to figure out, but we sure love our hair.

Hey everyone, my name is Yasmyne Fisher. I'm currently the President/Co-Campus Correspondent at Clark Atlanta University. I am a graduating senior, majoring in Fashion Design. My passion is writing on what people want to read, whether it is fashion, pop culture, being black in America you name it I love giving my perspective of a college student to readers.