“Love Is_”: More Than Just A Feeling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

When posed with the question of what love is, there are a few general answers that follow behind. Most would say, “Love is patient.” Others would say “Love is kind.” While both statements are true, no one ever discusses the fundamental theory of what love truly is. That fundamental theory is that both partners must constantly make the choice of choosing each other. 

In Oprah Winfrey’s new drama series, ‘Love Is_ ,’ viewers are awarded the opportunity to watch the true love story of Mara and Salim Akil unfold between their on-screen characters Nuri and Yasir. This show is not the typical love story. From the very beginning, viewers learn that Nuri is an established scriptwriter with her own house, car, and has multiple men that she is dating. On the contrary, Yasir does not have a career or job, money, car, and is forced to live with his unsupportive roommate that happened to be his girlfriend before he met Nuri, his true love.  

Love. A four-letter word being composed of feelings and choice. As a feeling, love can only be temporary since feelings are nothing but emotions. This temporary feeling that can be compromised if not coinciding with “good” behavior is nothing but conditional.  However, when one makes the choice to love someone, they are making the choice to love them through the insecurities and challenges that will be faced as the relationship develops. When one makes the choice to love someone despite the hardships that will follow, that type of love is unconditional-a type of love made up of feelings and choice, not just feelings. This unconditional love is the type of love shared between Nuri and Yasir. 

As an established and beautiful woman, Nuri had many male potentials in her life that were handsome, matched her economic status, and filled her “needs” as a woman. However, with all those different options in her life, she could not help but to choose Yasir. Nuri saw more to Yasir than what he had to physically offer. Despite being homeless and poor, she saw a man with ambition and drive that was trying to make a name for himself with his scriptwriting. She chose Yasir because he saw underneath her money and status; He saw a woman who had everything in her life except love.  

As a homeless and poor man, all Yasir had was his scripts. When Nuri entered his life, Yasir described her as the “light” in his very dark and dull life. Yasir could have stayed with Ruby, his unsupportive girlfriend, because that was the type of love he only knew or he could risk the little love he had left to give to someone he barely knew. He made the choice to be with Nuri because she gave him something that no one else ever had; She gave him hope. The fact that Nuri believed in him when no one else did, is what made him not give up on himself. She illuminated the bright light at the end of his very dark tunnel. 

Often times there is a misconception that love is just feeling; People tend to not think that love is also a choice. Everyone has the choice to let who they want into their lives. The choice has to be done wisely, and when that choice is made, just like Nuri and Yasir, always remember to choose each other in the end. 

Now, viewers can finally fill in the blank of the title ‘Love Is_’ with love is a feeling and a choice of choosing each other. Viewers can also fill in the blank that ‘Love Is_’ the return of the show in 2019. 

Giana Levy is a freshmen Journalism major at Clark Atlanta University and serves as an editorial writer for HerCampus CAU. She plans to use her work as a writer to inform the public on current events and give new perspectives on various topics.