Love The Fast & The Furious Franchise? Watch These Car Movies, Too!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Movies about cars usually make the car known in the streets. As I am a car fanatic and a movie buff, any of the car movies are just up my ally. Also with my love for classic movies, I’m going to choose movies that you’ve probably never heard of. Although, I do want to acknowledge The Transporter series, The Fast and The Furious Franchise, Death Proof, Christine, along with many movies I can continue to name. Today I’m going to talk about is Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry (1974), Vanishing Point (1971), and Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) and put you on to classics!

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry (1974)

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry is a 1974 American car chase film dependent on the 1963 Richard Unekis epic, titled The Chase (later retitled Pursuit). The film is coordinated by John Hough while starring Peter Fonda, Susan George, Adam Roarke, and Vic Morrow. Down on their karma and out of money, high-speed Larry (Peter Fonda) and his repairman (Adam Roarke) plan to hold up a store that is fat with new finance. Larry wants to score enough to purchase his optimal vehicle, and afterward join the expert class. At last, their heist is confused by the expansion of Larry’s on-off sweetheart (Susan George), who’s energized about everything surrounding the thievery. Larry’s hustling aptitudes will be stretched as far as possible in this pursuit pressed activity spine chiller.

The car that is known in this movie is the 1966 Chevy Impala. I was introduced to this movie at a very young age. The plot of the movie is so simple yet great, along with the car action it makes the movie unique.   

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0xE-68P4ao

Vanishing Point (1971)

Vanishing Point is a 1971 American action film directed by Richard C. Sarafian, starring Barry Newman, Cleavon Little, and Dean Jagger. Vietnam War saint Kowalski (Barry Newman) has become a pill-dependent driver for enlisting. Shipping a vehicle from Colorado to California, he breathes life into the excursion by making a bet with his street pharmacist: If the outing takes under 15 hours, Kowalski’s most recent amphetamine buy is free. In any case, Kowalski’s carelessness out and about outcomes in much-pitched police pursue. Radio muscle head Super Soul (Cleavon Little) covers the interest and turns Kowalski, who will not pull over, into a saint for the opportunity.

The car that is known in this movie is the 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 Magnum (supposedly supercharged). White Challengers are known as “Kowalski,” so if you have a White Challenger and didn’t know that, it’s a shame. This movie is all surrounded around a car chase, therefore, we see the Challenger drive the whole time.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P2VCMT8vAw

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)

Gone in 60 Seconds is a 1974 American action film written, directed, produced by, and starring H.B. “Toby” Halicki. Mondrian Pace (H.B. Halicki) is an insurance investigator by day and an expert vehicle criminal around evening time. At the climax, a South American medication ruler offers Pace $400,000 to take 48 autos in five days. The task appears to be a simple week’s work for Pace and his pack – until he’s sold out. After he takes a vehicle known as “Eleanor” in Long Beach, Calif., the police are abruptly on his tail. Pace winds up in an edgy vehicle pursue across Southern California, from Long Beach to Carson.

Not the Nicolas Cage and Angelina Jolie one that was made in 2000, but the original one! Although the remake is good, the original is always better. The car known in this movie is the 1971 Ford Mustang Sportsroof. 

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_Ct6zoeeQ

One more car movie I want to mention is Bullit (1968) Steve McQueen’s movie, which is another great car movie I would like to acknowledge. Having its own Mustang names after the movie and the original car still driving the street today, 51 years after the movie was filmed. 

Here’s some knowledge: don’t just watch the films, but learn the cars too! This will help you appreciate the movies even more. Plus, classic cars in addition to a good classic movie, is what I would call a win-win situation.  

All gifs provided by giphy.com.

Hey! I am Terri Blige a Senior English Major with a Concentration of Creative Writing at Thee Clark Atlanta University. I am from Connecticut. I am proud to say that I am a writer for HerCampusCAU