Living On Campus: What to Expect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Living on campus can be a positive and negative experience for many of us. As a college freshman, you don’t know what to expect other than what you’ve seen online or on television. You won’t know until you’re actually living it for yourself. Once week 7 hits, you’re completely adjusted and starting to feel at home. Here’s a list of the most random, positive or negative experiences you might have while living on campus.

1. A terrible roommate.

She doesn’t clean up, talks on the phone super late and eats your food without asking. It’ll be over soon, don’t you worry. 

2. You actually have an on campus boo.

You’re probably feeling like you’ve met your college sweetheart and you’re going to be married by 23. Congratulations, you’re one of the lucky few.

3. You’re RA has lost their mind.

They’re handing out fines left and right in your dorm, refusing to allow visitation for almost two months, and keep forgetting you live there, so they demand to see your ID every single time you enter the building. At this point, you’re waiting for the opportunity to catch ’em outside, if you know what I mean.

4. The cafe food is decent, but not amazing.

Yes, fried chicken Wednesday is cool. It happens every week. Your probably eating air for dinner some nights. Don’t worry, it gets better.

5. Late nights in the library are a thing.

All-nighters happen, but they’re avoidable if you stay on top of your assignments and study ahead of the time.

6. On campus events are lit.

The SGA works hard to plan those events so you should definitely go out and support your peers. Whether it’s a talent show or a movie night, it’ll probably take your mind off all of the things you have going on in your classes.

7. Making it to a 9 AM is hard, even when you’re living on campus.

Rushing across campus at 8:55 is pointless. You’re already going to be late, so go ahead and stop by Dunkin Donuts. I’m kidding, go to class.

Photo Credit: Tumblr

Hi! I'm Aliyah, a Senior Business Administration major with a concentration in marketing from PG County, Maryland. I spend my time watching YouTube videos, Netflix and reading books. I love all things storytelling.