This ‘Little’ Movie Will Make You Feel Bigger Than Ever About Your True Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Three months ago, when the ‘Little’ trailer was released, I found my self anxious for its premiere. I mean it was kind of like a film fairytale that I didn’t even know I wanted. Issa Rae, Marsai Martin, and the legend Regina King all in one movie? If anyone dared to downplay this film of #blackgirlmagic, I was ready for war. Nonetheless, seeing the movie has turned me from soldier to full-blown self-healer. Although the comedic act in ‘Little’ is what many of you may be excited about the movie, it adds a bigger perk to your life.

Nonetheless, the comedy shouldn’t go unnoticed either, so let me just start there. The little snippets in the trailer don’t do justice to our main characters. Each actress is known for their abilities to sell their characters effortlessly, and this film proves to be no different. The comedic lines don’t even seem like they’re part of the script! They are delivered in a natural essence that is appreciated and nostalgic. Everyone has a boujie aunt that older Jordan can remind them of. Additionally, everyone has a more reserved aunt, like April, who just so happened to give birth to your bratty cousin, like the younger Jordan.

For those of you who don’t know, the plot focuses on the life of Jordan Sanders, a strict executive with her own business. Issa Rae plays her loyal companion, aka assistant April, and manages every aspect of her life. One night, Jordan transforms into the teenage version of herself and her life enters a downward spiral. She is no longer seen as the head honcho but as a disrespectful child. Of course, April helps her throughout the magical crisis and, ultimately, is her biggest life saver.

Now, how exactly is the movie going to turn you into a self-help guru? I’m glad you asked! As expected, there was a hidden meaning in the midst of the magical madness. To keep it short for spoiler purposes, the movie pushes you to reflect on yourself when you were younger. From there, you need to look at the differences between your past self, and who you are in the present. Are you actually a better you or a more confined you? Think about your past aspirations and evaluate their importance in your life today. These are the little pointers that I grasped from the movie as a whole. At some point, we must allow ourselves to be completely unapologetic in every way.

In college and just with adulting in general, life can literally take over and change everything. Most of the time these changes happen without us realizing until we’ve drowned in them. Although ‘Little’ had the ability to carry out a crazy storyline, comedic elements, and authentic Black personas, it also guided me to remember what I really enjoy and love. I pray the movie does the same for you!

Be sure to gather your favorite group of friends and see the movie ‘Little’ this Friday, April 12th.

Da'Zhane Johnson is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University. She often finds herself eagerly waiting in a Starbucks line, or happily looking for new coffee orders to add to her collection. Her major is Mass Media Arts with a hard concentration in journalism, so in her spare time, she's usually writing. To read more of her articles, check her out on Instagram @bydazh!