This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

With me having older parents, not too old but that were teenagers in the 80s. They exposed me to a lot of old music going back from the ’60s. Plus I don’t listen to garbage music. The same theory for my movie selection goes for my music as well. The ’70s and ’80s were a music era of social change. Meaning some music had to do with what was going on in the world at the time. And the music is supposed to create peace and harmony. Not to continue the negativity that was going on during the time. 

The Four Artists I would like to acknowledge the I love from the 70s and 80s era are DeBarge, The Gap Band, The S.O.S Band, and Earth WInd & Fire. If you know these artists already then you’re already hipped. For those who don’t get ready to add some serious gems to your playlist.

DeBarge 

DeBarge was an American R&B music group made out of a few individuals from the DeBarge family, a group of melodic abilities frequently contrasted with the Jackson family. Notwithstanding different performance ventures finished by individuals from the family, DeBarge was dynamic somewhere in the range of 1980 and 1989. The gathering initially comprised of Mark, Randy, and El. Bunny, James, and Bobby joined later. 

I was exposed to DeBarge at a young age, at least ten or younger. They have so many songs about Love and it touches my heart differently every time. Here are some of my favorite hits:

• I like it 

• All this love

• Love me in a special way 

• A dream 

The Gap Band 

The Gap Band was an American R&B and funk band that rose to notoriety during the 1970s and 1980s. The band comprised of three siblings Charlie, Ronnie, and Robert Wilson; and it was named after lanes (Greenwood, Archer, and Pine) in the noteworthy Greenwood neighborhood in the siblings’ old neighborhood of Tulsa, Oklahoma. The gathering abbreviated its name to The Gap Band in 1973. Following 43 years together, they resigned in 2010.

These songs are funky, not as in the smell bad but that being the genre. This genre isn’t for everybody. But it will most definitely make one’s head bop. I was at a party last week and heard one of their songs being played. Here’s my favorite songs:

• Burn Rubber

• You dropped a bomb on me 

The S.O.S Band 

The S.O.S. Band (at times composed SOS Band; shortened form for Sounds Of Success) is an American R&B and electro-funk bunch who picked up acclaim during the 1980s. The Atlanta, Georgia, band was begun in 1977, when keyboardist/vocalist Jason Bryant, saxophonists Billy Ellis and Willie “Sonny” Killebrew, guitarist Bruno Speight, bassist John Alexander Simpson, drummer James Earl Jones III, and lead vocalist Mary Davis shaped a gathering called Sounds of Santa Monica that played at Atlanta club the Regal Room. 

Although the songs are pretty lengthy, they are a great listen. These songs as well are mostly surrounded by “relationships.” I put quotations for a reason, listen to the songs I list! 

• Take your time

• Just the way you like it 

• Just be good to me

Earth, Wind & Fire

Earth, Wind, and Fire (abridged as EW&F or just EWF) is an American band that has spread over the melodic kinds of R&B, soul, funk, jazz, disco, pop, rock, move, Latin, and Afro-pop. They have been portrayed as one of the most imaginative and monetarily effective demonstrations ever. Drifter called them “inventive, exact yet arousing, determined at this point stirring” and pronounced that the band “changed the sound of dark pop” VH1 has likewise depicted EWF as “probably the best band” ever.

Everyone knows EWF! They have been around forever and when you hear “September” some should already know the lyrics. Their songs remind me of the Emperor’s New Groove. Here some songs I love:

• Can’t Hide love 

• Love Holiday

• Fantasy 

• That’s the way of the world 

I hope some of these songs are already in your playlist or are now getting added. There are plenty of more artists during the era that are just as great, do some more exploring! Happy listening.

Hey! I am Terri Blige a Senior English Major with a Concentration of Creative Writing at Thee Clark Atlanta University. I am from Connecticut. I am proud to say that I am a writer for HerCampusCAU