Kenneka Jenkins : Don’t Forget to #SayHerName

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

On September 10, 2017 in Chicago, 19-year-old Kenneka Jenkins was found dead in a Rosemont Hotel freezer. Jenkins attended a party at the hotel the evening before her death. There were over thirty people in attendance at the party; few of which were Jenkins’ close friends (OkayPlayer.com). Jenkins’ alleged cause of death was reported to be an accident. Her toxicology report found alcohol, caffeine and epilepsy/migraine medication in Jenkins’ system. The Rosemont police department decided to close the case, out ruling foul play. This, however, does not sit well with Jenkins’ mother, Tereasa  Martin. Martin is looking into involving the FBI in the case along with conducting her own private investigation, because she has her own suspicions about her daughter’s death.

Now over a month after Jenkins’ death, graphic photos have been released of how she was found in the hotel freezer. These photos make her heartbreaking story explicitly real to those who have been following updates throughout the month. Particularly, these updates make me think about how could this death had been prevented? As a young woman in Kenneka’s age range, I know many people in our age group are trying to enjoy life as young adults through partying with their friends. While partying is expected of us in our youth, it is important for us to also be responsible. Jenkins’ mother in her most recent interview with 107.5 WGCI radio station stated, Jenkins’ friends have been little to no help with the investigation. It is our duty to surround ourselves with trustworthy people as we decide to be under the influence, stay out late, etc. This duty is not only essential to our safety-it is essential to our loved ones having peace at mind as they allow us to go out into the world and do as we please.

Moreover, I observed that as time went on the #JusticeForKenneka trend on many social media platforms died down. This happens with almost any hashtag overtime, but with this case particularly, it is the responsibility of the community to create continuous awareness of her death until the justice her mother demands is served. If we were to place ourselves into her mother’s shoes we would not want this to be thrown into to the archives of Twitter. Do not forget to #SayHerName. #JusticeForKenneka deserves to be served.

Below are the links to the okayplayer articles where I got a majority of the facts presented in this article:http://www.okayplayer.com/culture/kenneka-jenkins-autopsy-results-hotel-freezer.html

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/kenneka-jenkins-mom-tereasa-martin-camera-above-freezer-chicago-hotel.html

Photo Credits to The Chicago Tribune,Facebook and Sweat.org

Miranda is a Junior Mass Media Arts Major Print Journalism Concentration at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University. Hailing from Chicago, IL, Miranda is looking to write for the politically conscious, fashion-forward, and everyone in between. Feel free to connect with her via social media as well as through LinkedIn!