It’s Possible to Find Love in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Being young in college I have realized that I can’t take every single guy I come across seriously. Now that I’m a rising junior, I’ve said to myself “Okay, is this love thing going to really happen?” It seems like every guy I come across just isn’t the one for me. Things turn sour and I have to start the “talking phase” over again. Speaking for myself, this doesn’t happen often because I don’t give that many guys a chance. I feel like I’m beginning to lose faith in a solid relationship.

I went from looking for guys to talk to, to leaving it up to faith instead. I seemed to have lost all hope, but luckily I came across these photos of Clark Atlanta University alumni Dr.Calvin Briggs and his wife Dr. Samantha Briggs.

This photoset displays their transition from college years into alumni of the University. It gives me a glimpse of love at not only any college but the one I currently attend. It makes me feel like love might not be too far from my reach. It didn’t just make me think about myself but it also made me happy to see their love still going strong today. Here’s a very recent photo of the Briggs’ at the Jazz Under the Stars event held at Clark Atlanta University directly in front of the historical Harkness Hall building. 

Just because my love life is at a standstill doesn”t mean that a CAU love story is impossible for me or my fellow Clarkittes. Whether it’s a Clarkhouse relationship or a CAU relationship, the possibility is still there. It might seem like all of the guys in the AUC are jokes that you just can’t take serious but if we hold on to that glimpse of hope, we might find our Mr. Briggs. Not every guy is worth taking serious, that’s true, but some of them are worth a chance. Our college years are meant to take chances. Take a chance and you might find the right one. Twenty years from now we might be listening to jazz music on the grass in front of Harkness Hall while reminiscing on our younger years at CAU. So here’s to many more frozen moments for the Briggs family and potential moments for current and future CAU students. 

Photo Credits: All photos belong to @drcalvinbriggs

Hi! I'm Aliyah, a Senior Business Administration major with a concentration in marketing from PG County, Maryland. I spend my time watching YouTube videos, Netflix and reading books. I love all things storytelling.