This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

I have been natural since I was about 12 years old. Whilst it was a long journey, it is now, while I’m in college that I just figured out what works for me. As many YouTubers and other natural hair bloggers will tell you, (or should.) Everything that works for me, will not work for you. God has given us all different textures of hair that includes different methods different results. I have a 3C/4A texture all around my head, meaning the key to definition and volume is moisture!

So, in order to “Winterize” your natural hair routine, 1st thing is to MOISTURIZE!

In the summer, I don’t have to worry about moisture as much because the moisture is already in the air. But during the winter, we can’t rely on the air to help us out. My favorite method is the LOC method. Leave in, Oil and Cream product. I do this on wet hair just because it traps in the moisture in the hair. Plus, it helps with definition!

2nd thing: Amp up your Deep Conditioning routine

Many naturals know the importance of Deep conditioning. As much as it adds stress to your normal wash day routine, it is a MUST! It adds shine, rebuilds protein, defines and makes hair more manageable. Deep conditioning regularly will trap and retain moisture during the harsh winter months. PSA: Aussie’s 3-minute miracle deep conditioner is the bomb!

3rd thing: Don’t neglect your hair in protective styles

Braids, Sew ins, Faux locs and other protective styles are very popular during the winter. They protect our strands from the wind and all the other elements. But we often forget to take care of our hair under the protective styles! It is important to oil our scalp, or even take the extra step to steam your hair between styles, remember moisture is key to prevent breakage!

4th thing: Remember to trim your ends!

This is the best time to get your hair straightened to get your ends trimmed! Due to the lack of moisture in the air, your heat styles will last longer. This is the time to take advantage of this type of these styles because it allows the stylist to have a clear, straight forward chance to clip your ends. I in no way endorse excessive heat, but I do suggest a blow out at least once a year for trimming purposes.

By following these tips, you can definitely increase the health of your hair this winter. But, remember what works for other may not work for you and that’s okay. Take the time to investigate and research what works for you and your hair type. It will make all the difference! And remember that natural hair is a journey, not a destination. Your hair will go through phases and change textures. Regardless of its state, it is always for you!

20 year old sophomore from little rock. mass media arts major, political science minor at clark atlanta university.