This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

As college students many of us find ourselves constantly comparing ourselves to our peers on all the various aspects of our lives but the infamous question many singles find themselves asking is “Everyone has a man, where mine at?” Well sis, I’m here to tell you everyone’s fairytale can’t happen at the same time. Here’s some tips to make your wait for “The One” a little more bearable.  

1.    GET in your BAG!

Use this time to focus on yourself! This is the only time in your life that is exclusively used to build your resume. Go get that job, take that internship, learn that language you’ve always wanted learn. Whatever it is you want to do, do it now while you have the extra time and the improved clarity that comes from being single. (most of the time)

2.    Date in exclusively

What many people call a “hoe phase” is what use to be called dating in exclusively. You are a catch! Treat yourself as such. Everyone does not deserve your commitment and sole attention right off the bat. Use this time to figure out what qualities you like and don’t like in significant others, before its too late!

3.    Learn more about yourself

Late teens and early twenties is a known period of exploration of self. Take this opportunity to evaluate what you feel are good qualities about yourself and what you feel you should work on, and once identified actively work on them! Knowing yourself is the first step to a healthy, successful relationship.

4.    Be selfish

Take advantage of the fact that you don’t have to check for anybody but you. People with significant others can sometimes be significantly stressed. You are not obligated to give anyone your time, your words, and anything else you want to keep to yourself. It wont always be like that, so your best bet is to take advantage now.

5.    Don’t compare your behind the scenes footage, to someone else’s highlight reel

Don’t get caught up in all the super cute posts on Instagram or the super cute tweets between star crossed lovers on your feed. Of course they posted the cute date they went on last week, but do you think they posted the fight they had this morning?

Love often comes when you’re not looking for it most of the time. Take this time to use these tips to focus on yourself so when bae comes along, you have way more to offer than you did before!

20 year old sophomore from little rock. mass media arts major, political science minor at clark atlanta university.