This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Many of us have a strong relationship with God before we leave for college. We dedicate time to Him, pray to Him constantly, and love Him deeply and preparing for our leave to college we were so nervous that we would lose that relationship and were afraid that our freedom and independence might distract us from being so obedient to God. Especially after hearing so many stories of how that has happened to young women that were once so dedicated to His word. Many young men and women in college tend to lose that relationship they once had with God and wind up lost and empty in their hearts. Nothing is fulfilling them like it used to in a healthy manner. Why do we stray away from God so much in our college years? What is it that doesn’t keep us connected to Him? Why do we stop seeking God’s love?

How God is Lost. By observation, God is usually lost in college because students stop feeding themselves with His world. No longer do students attend church regularly, nor do they read the Bible, or listen to His music like they once did growing up. Students no longer have their parents or loved ones forcing them to complete these tasks necessary to know Him, so they discontinue whatever it is they used to practice. Just like any other relationship, it takes work, and eventually they stop putting in the effort to maintain that relationship. So over time, it is lost.

Why He is Never Relevant. Not only do they lose determination but it is also the new environment that does not push students towards Him. It is known that the best parties and “turn ups” usually take place in college. It is almost viewed as a tradition or a requirement that if you attend college you must party. Parties are not always the place to find God. There is often much temptation to participate in drinking, smoking, and lusting. Another aspect in which God does not seem relevant is in this hooking up culture. So many people have sex in college with “no attachments”. It is no longer about the love but rather the sensation that sex provides. In the Bible God asks us to wait till marriage to have sex, therefore, when people do not wait and hookup with multiple partners before marriage it causes destruction of the soul. Parties and hooking up are the two main activities that usually take believers off track in their relationship with God. When you add peer pressure into the mix it then becomes twice as difficult to pursue God and not follow the crowd.

How to Build a Relationship with God in College. If you know in your heart that having a relationship with God is ultimately the most important priority in your life, then here are some ways to do so while overcoming all temptations we face in college.

1. Seek a Sunday service. At Clark Atlanta University we have an on campus chapel. Most other colleges have these as well. Or you can google churches nearby campus. It is important to pursue God constantly while building your relationship with Him. Sunday services are a great way to learn about Him with others and to refresh your soul before classes start again on Monday.

2. Seek a Bible study. Most colleges provide a student driven Bible study sometime during the week. At Clark Atlanta University there is a Bible study through the Religious Life department as well as Intervarsity, which is a student lead Christian Fellowship Organization. Bible studies during the week will keep you focused on God and constantly keep you reading His word.

3. Find likeminded friends. If you have friends that don’t care for God but you are trying to grow your relationship with Him it’s going to be very difficult to maintain any progress. It is helpful to have support when building a relationship with God. Supportive friends are great for keeping you accountable. Find likeminded friends that will help push you up to your goals, not tear you away from them.

Those three points are great starters for rebuilding or building a relationship with God in college. Having a relationship with God in college takes work and a couscous effort, however, it is more than possible. Though you face many temptations, with His strength and His love, you have the power to overcome.

Doing God's work one day at a time.
Kayla Antoinette Walker has always been an ambitious and motivated young woman and has always set high standards for herself. She is an aspiring event/wedding coordinator majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University in Atlanta, GA. She chose to attend Clark Atlanta after graduating Valedictorian of her high school class at Carver High School in Columbus, GA. As a senior, Kayla has a passion for mentoring and wants to bring a sense of pride and empowerment to the women of Clark Atlanta to encourage them to "be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire". Kayla says to always be a girl with a mind, a woman with attitude, and a lady with class. Go forth and be great!