This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Within the last few months, the world has received an influx of music from female rappers all across the country. Previously, the industry made it clear that there was never going to be room for more than a few successful women in rap, but as of late, there has been a HUGE change. It seems that every month more and more women are coming out with freestyles, EP’s and singles. It’s a breath of fresh air to see more women participate in the industry as more than a singer. Women are starting to become just as open and honest about who they are mentally, sexually, and just what it is they want from men. This is something that has always been taboo, even with our Og’s, Lil Kim, Foxy Brown, Trina, and even Nicki Minaj. These are the women who began paving the path to normalizing female sexuality.  But this new generation of female rappers has begun to do much more! Not only is female sexuality becoming normalized, but so is, gender fluidity and women empowering/supporting other women. There are so many women that I could discuss but I want to get into my top three!

1. RICOOOOOO

Rico Nasty, my punk-rock queen. Ms. Nasty is obviously number one because she has done what no other female rapper or any mainstream rapper has been able to do, and that is successfully combine punk-rock with hip-hop. Maria Kelly, AKA, Rico Nasty was born May 7th, 1997, in New York, but was raised in Prince George’s County, Maryland. Nasty started creating music when she was just fifteen years old, as well as poetry out of boredom. She also released her first album ‘Summers Eve’, but never really took a career in music seriously. It wasn’t until the tragic death of her boyfriend’s death and Child’s birth that she really started to focus her career in music. It was the release of ‘Tales Of Tacobella’ that sent Rico through the roof. With hits like, ‘Countin’ Up’, ‘Guap (LaLaLa)’, ‘Big Dick Energy’ and, ‘Bitch I’m Nasty.’ I don’t see Rico Nasty going anywhere for a very long time. She’s definitely just getting started.

Now, all we have to do is wait for her latest project, ‘Anger Management’.

2. Tina Snow

Megan Pete, AKA, Tina Snow or Megan Thee Stallion is our favorite breakout star from Houston, Texas, but the 24-year-old is definitely more than a rapper. Stallion is a full-time college student currently enrolled at Texas Southern University, as well as being a choreographed dancer and model. Stallion is managed by her mother’s company, ‘Pretty Time Entertainment Management’ which gave her access to producers, leading to the release of her single ‘Like A Stallion’ in the spring of 2016. It wasn’t until ‘The Houston Cypher’, that made the world focus on the up-and-coming Houston rapper. Since then, Stallions’ career has been nothing short of successful.

Before the release of her most recent album ‘Tina Snow’, I definitely slept on Stallion. By watching her freestyles and keeping up with all her music, I can see why she’s blowing up so quickly!

3. Asian Doll

Misharron Allen better known as Asian Doll is the Dallas rapper I never thought I would love. Doll spent the majority of her adolescence bouncing around from place to place, eventually taking an interest in the music world. Doll built her social media platform which aided in the start of her now successful rap career. In 2015, Doll released her first EP, ‘Rise Of Barbie Doll Gang’ and she didn’t stop there. Since then, Doll has released a total of SIX tapes and has been the first ever woman to be signed the 1017 Eskimo, under the very popular Gucci Mane.

Asian Doll is definitely the hardest “Doll” out, and her latest project ‘So Icy Princess’ does nothing but prove just that. With features from Gucci Mane, Lil Yachty, Dreezy, and up-and-coming rapper YBN Nahmir. Doll is proving just how hard she’s going to be coming for the rest of her career.

Men in the rap game should definitely be scared. The women of rap are taking over and we are here for it!

CAU Woman, Writer, Creative Instagram:@Sola.ce