1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design

Here’s a Netflix Series for Aspiring Black Filmmakers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

The Netflix series, They Gotta Have Us, is a series that tells the progression of how Black Americans made their presence in the world of film. In a time where the Black identity was often suppressed, young black actors and filmmakers made it come to light through the cinematic works. The series tells how Black actors and filmmakers got rid of the “Black person” narrative on screen and rather portrayed them as only a person. 

A fuzzy screen in the back ground might say \"netflix\" but the image\'s selective focus is on a mug of some sort.
Pexels

They Gotta Have Us starts by showing how Black actors made their debut and began showing the real stories of Black people. Some of these stories were often stories that Hollywood would try to avoid. For example, the film, Moonlight, was not received well when the idea was first presented. It depicted poverty, Black people, and homosexuality. These were all subjects that Hollywood would try to avoid. The series also told how black actors rejected what was supposed to happen on screen. Harry Belafonte did this in the film, Island in the Sun. Black and white people were not allowed to engage in any sort of sexual activity onscreen. However, Belafonte made it be known that his Black character did have a sexual connection with his white love interest in the film through his actions. Films also began to portray Black people as regular people when they portrayed them doing regular things. For example, in the film, Carmen Jones, the film depicted two Black people in love and engaging in physical affection. At the time, this was often avoided onscreen. Black people were making their presence well known in the Hollywood industry. The series tells the stories of the turning points in film of Black life. Black was becoming the new Hollywood.

Felicity Warner / HCM
They Gotta Have Us also takes some time to highlight the importance of Spike Lee’s work. It discusses how Spike Lee was the ambassador of Black film. He was also an inspiration to many young Black filmmakers, such as John Singleton. Spike Lee’s work highlighted racial politics within the Black community as well as glorifying Black culture. His films were often set in inner-city, urban neighborhoods. Spike Lee’s films also sparked the idea of making hip-hop more than just a musical genre. He showed how hip-hop is somewhat of a lifestyle. The series also discusses the inception of hood movies. Hood movies not only depicted a “hood” lifestyle; it included people who were actually living in it. For example, Cuba Gooding Jr. discussed his time shooting the film, Boyz in the Hood. He mentioned how the rapper, Ice Cube, would always have real thugs hanging around him on set. He also went into detail about how the shootings that took place during the film were real shootings. Hood movies were the most authentic representation of one aspect of the Black culture. 

They Gotta Have Us shows the rise of Black actors. Hood movies and other Black movies were so renowned for portraying Black culture so vividly that Black actors were often stereotyped. Black actors were only cast for Black roles, and they were often put into a box. Hollywood only wanted to see “the illiterate basketball player” or “thug #1.” Black actors and filmmakers were not using their talents to their fullest potential. They often had to break the barriers down themselves. Actors, such as Denzel Washington, paved the way for many Black actors portraying numerous different roles. His versatility opened up many doors for Black people in Hollywood. Black actors were now being picked for roles in sci-fi movies and so much more. They Gotta Have Us has shown how Black people have reached the point to where they are calling the shots in Hollywood and continue to make turning points for Black actors and filmmakers in Hollywood with each new project. 

Felicity Warner / HCM

Hey guys! I am Sydney Jones,I am a freshman Mass Media Arts major at Clark Atlanta University. I am from the Grind City, also known as, Memphis, Tennesee. On a regular day, you can find me singing my heart out to old Disney movies and TV shows. I am a radio, television, and film concentration, but I love to write in order to share my stories along with other people's stories. Feel free to connect with me through social media and enjoy!