This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

If you’re a frequent viewer of HBO Max, you’ve probably heard of The Hype. If not, that’s okay. You’ve come to the right place. The Hype, hosted by Speedy Morman, is a reality T.V. competition series focused on streetwear. The premise of the show is to find the next best streetwear designer out of 9 contestants. Similar to Project Runway, contestants are put through weekly challenges and eliminated based on their quality of work. Each week they are judged by a panel of three co-signers, Marni Senofonte, Bephie Birkett and Offset. The winner takes home $150,000.

Episode 1 – Streets are Your Runway

In the first episode, all nine contestants were hit with back-to-back challenges. After introducing themselves, each contestant was asked to bring out examples of their work. These examples included racks, bins of clothing and accessories. After presenting their work, contestants were taken on a tour of the studio while judges Marni, Belphie and Offset examined each rack. Judges were to come to a consensus on their favorite rack. The winner of this round was saved from elimination.

The second challenge was a bit more exciting yet nerve-wracking, to say the least. Each contestant was asked to create a look for A$ap Ferg. They were all given access to graphic designers, sewists, pattern makers and models. Within two days, these designers optimized their time to create the perfect look for A$ap Ferg. The winner of this challenge got their look featured on a Billboard in downtown Los Angeles and a spot on the resale website, StockX. Though my preferred look did not win, each designer did a great job putting together their pieces, and I would have no problem wearing the items myself.

My favorite look comes from the designer, Camila Romero. Her look consisted of a white shirt and sweatpants with brown down the sides, a brown and white bucket hat, and a light brown babushka underneath. Though Ferg did not pick this look, it was still a panel favorite.

If you are interested in watching The Hype, all eight episodes are available for binging!

Follow the cast:

Camila Romero

Los Angeles

Instagram: @camilalalaaa

Alan King

New York

Instagram: @alanking

Justin Mensinger

Chicago

Instagram: @justinmensinger

Blu

Atlanta

Instagram: @bluboy__ 

Kai Nguyen 

Los Angeles

Instagram: @kailumieres

Caroline Bentley Noble

New York

Instagram: @carolinebentleynoble

Murph

The Bronx

Instagram: @itsjustmurph

Front Paije

Detroit

Instagram: @front_paije

Jolleson

Los Angeles

Instagram: @jolleson

Brittany Robinson is a sophomore majoring in Mass Media Arts at Clark Atlanta University. She was born in Saginaw, Michigan, and has a deep love for writing in many facets. Not only is she a blogger, but she is also a singer/songwriter. She has had the opportunity to perform at many music festivals and has opened up for many musical artists. In her spare time she loves recording music and listening to her favorite 90s R&B artists. You can follow her on Instagram @Taneenofficial.