Get Ready for Spring Elections!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Spring Elections are right around the corner and the anticipation is killing us! From free food to fun activities to speeches and debates and the Miss CAU pageant, this week is one full of events that you DON’T want to miss! Here are a few things to look forward to during Spring Elections Week:

1. Free Food. Almost every candidate will have some type of food or drink at their table to give to students. There’s no need to go to the caf because you can get breakfast AND lunch this week! From Chick-fil-A to ice cream to gumbo, these candidates think of it all!

2. Fun activities. In past years, candidates have really gone the extra mile to have creative activities for students to engage in at their table. Students have had giant jenga pieces, bouncy houses, and even a rock climbing wall. Some activities aren’t all about fun and games though! Candidates have been known for collecting clothes to donate to Goodwill as well as conducting surveys to enhance the HBCU experience here at CAU. These activities definitely have grabbed the attention of the student body and have not gone unnoticed.

3. Speeches and debates. This is literally one of the most important aspects of campaign week! This is where candidates truly show what they have to offer and express how they feel and what they can bring to the institution. Speeches and debates can get a little heated and the questions are far from general. A candidates’ response to a question can make or break their entire campaign and you will definitely want to ask them specific questions about their campaigns and what actions and plans they have for their position and the upcoming school year.

4. Miss CAU pageant. The Miss CAU pageant is where the candidates for class queens and Miss CAU show their talents, style, and grace. This is THE biggest pageant of the year and it’s $FREE.99 so you definitely want to get there early to get a good seat. This pageant is very crucial to the candidates competing for queen positions because the pageant is worth 30% of the overall vote. This night is the night before Voting Day and helps students finalize their decision of who to vote for.

Kayla Antoinette Walker has always been an ambitious and motivated young woman and has always set high standards for herself. She is an aspiring event/wedding coordinator majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University in Atlanta, GA. She chose to attend Clark Atlanta after graduating Valedictorian of her high school class at Carver High School in Columbus, GA. As a senior, Kayla has a passion for mentoring and wants to bring a sense of pride and empowerment to the women of Clark Atlanta to encourage them to "be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire". Kayla says to always be a girl with a mind, a woman with attitude, and a lady with class. Go forth and be great!