nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Free Your Mind: The Importance of Keeping It Real

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

It’s a new year! With the start of 2019 people are working on their new year’s resolutions. I, on the contrary, was never a person that did new years resolution because, why do I have to wait to accomplish something when a new year approaches?

However, this year, I did decide on a New Year’s resolution which was very spontaneous. My New Year’s resolution wasn’t oriented around the stereotypical goals, like to read a certain amount of books, lose weight or save a certain amount of money. My new year’s resolution is to speak my mind which is what I encourage everyone around me should also do.

Free your mind and the rest will follow! Initially, I told my mother that this year I will become a “Savage”. She didn’t like that term, but I  didn’t mean for it to sound as harsh. What I meant was I wanted to start speaking my mind. Throughout my whole life, I’ve held my tongue and I know there is plenty of people around me who the exact same thing.

People tend to hold their tongues because they think what they are about to say is stupid or because they are frightened of what people around them might say. When it comes to the way people think, the one thing they do not want to do is start having debates when it comes to being brutally honest. It’s important to be honest because Honesty is going to take you places in life that you never could have dreamed and it’s the easiest thing you can practice in order to be happy.

Here are 5 reasons why you should speak your mind:

1. Silence is deemed approval.

You may imagine that remaining quiet shields you from being associated with any contention, yet an incredible inverse. Silence is as much a functioning type of correspondence as talking.

2. The greater good should be the priority

I like to believe most people are good-hearted by nature. And many stay silent because they don’t want to do any harm by offending or criticizing someone.

3. Demonstrate you are invested.

For what reason would you say you are in the discussion in any case? Somebody welcomed you into the dynamic. In the event that you really don’t have a stake, locate a superior utilization of your time.

4.  No one else may know.

You can’t assume the obvious is obvious. Your experience and knowledge have value in a given situation. No one else has your unique perspective. That doesn’t mean that everything in your brain is worth communicating, but with a little discretion and thought, you should be able to bring value in most situations.

5. You may not be alone in your thinking.

It’s completely conceivable that your smart perceptions and ends have surfaced in the psyches of others. Others may impart your contemplations and insights, however, might be likewise reluctant to talk up.

There’s no problem with me or anyone else speaking up and voicing their opinion, they just can’t take advantage of it. Being able to express your thoughts with people around you is key to a proactive life. If you hold your thoughts you’ll feel regret of not speaking to that person because you never know when’s the last time you’ll ever see somebody.

Hey! I am Terri Blige a Senior English Major with a Concentration of Creative Writing at Thee Clark Atlanta University. I am from Connecticut. I am proud to say that I am a writer for HerCampusCAU