Follow Us on the Pathway to More Success w/ These 6 Major Keys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

“Follow me on the pathway to more success!”

“Bless up!”

“Another one!”

“They don’t want you win!”

“Congratulations, you played yourself!”

Any of these infamous sayings sound familiar? If you’ve seen any of Dj Khaled’s snaps on Snapchat or the memes all over the Internet, then we know you’ve already incorporated these sayings into your everyday conversations. Anytime we hear something from Khaled, we leave feeling inspired, empowered and ready to take on the world! Well, we decided to bring some of that positive energy to our lovely collegiettes at CAU. Follow us on the pathway to more success with these major keys! 

1. Don’t Quit. You’ve come so far already by making it to college. Not everyone makes it this far, and some won’t make it to the end. Whether you are struggling with class work, your job, relationships/ friendships or anything else, always remember to perservere. Anything worth having is worth fighting for, so strap on your boots and keep pushing. It’s so easy to just quit and give up, but why would you want to let all of that time and energy go to waste? The real work and lessons learned are in the journey to the end goal. You get 0% of the shots you don’t take. Don’t go through life regretting the chances and risks that you didn’t take!
  2. Always Be Ready. You know the saying “If you’re always ready, you never have to get ready?” College made that saying all the more evident and relevant than ever. Proactivity and productivity are major keys. If you have a big test or assignment or interview coming up, do what you have to do in preparation. If you have a special talent, perfect your craft and work at it everyday. Don’t be left behind because you put your dreams and responsibilities on the back burner. Procrastination doesn’t want you to win! Don’t play yourself; do the work!
  3. Don’t Compare Your Journey. Your journey is just that…YOURS. It’s so easy to look around and see people doing what they love and seeming to be so much further ahead than you. However, you don’t know anyone’s journey. We don’t know what hardships, struggles or obstacles one had to face to get to where they are. Just because you may not be where you want to be in life, recognize the power of your personal journey. The road to success (whether that manifests as monetary gain, happiness, love, etc. to you) isn’t a cakewalk; it’s hard and trying and unrelenting, but there is always light at the end of the tunnel. In most cases, people have a disposition concerning the different paces of success between them and their peers because they aren’t working toward or aren’t in a place to work toward what they really want to do. Never be lazy or complacent; there is always room for improvement, to learn more. If you have a dream, work toward it tirelessly. Don’t waste your time involving yourself in things that don’t cater to the growth of your personal brand. Stay in your OWN lane. Mind your OWN business. Cheer those doing great things around you on. Make moves in silence. Do everything you can in the time that you have on this earth. Remember, you have the same 24 hours in a day as Beyonce (or whomever you look up to)!
  4. Stay Positive and Optimistic. MAJOR KEY ALERT! One of the reasons that some people aren’t where they want to be is that they have a negative outlook on their current situation. The answer is simple: be grateful and appreciative of your current state of progress and know their better is on the way! Your mindset and outlook on life reflects in every aspect of your life. You may not necessarily like where you are right now, but you’re in a better place than where you started. It’s all about positive vibes and good energy. Don’t allow negativity to block your “next-level blessing!”
  5. Always Be True to You! You were fearfully and wonderfully made. You are strong. You are enough. You can make waves and move mountains. You are uniquely you for a reason. There is no one else like you, and you should be proud of that! You have the power to write your own story; never give anyone the power to define you. All of the things that make you you, embrace them! If you’re quirky or wierd, plus size or any of those other traits that society tries to make you ashamed of, OWN IT. Break the rules that society makes about you, and POP OUT of that box. No one gets anywhere by conforming.
  6. SLAY! If Beyonce taught us nothing else, she taught us to slay, to be proud of who we are. No matter where you are in life, where you come from or what you look like, always slay. Present your best self everyday. Don’t give anyone a reason to say anything about you. & major key: let your haters be your motivators! Who knows, you just might be a black Bill Gates in the making! ;)

You were destined for greatness! Don’t let anyone take that away from you. Incorporate these keys into your life and watch it change for the better. With your virtual BFFs and Dj Khaled on your side, you’re already covered.

Go and prosper, collegiette, go and prosper!

Shatay Speights is a Clark Atlanta University senior, majoring in Fashion Merchandising from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. She has a passion for fashion, journalism, and inspiring young women around her, all of which she plans to tie into her budding fashion/ journalism career. Shatay is currently the Managing Editor for Her Campus CAU and Fashion Editor for her school newspaper (The CAU Panther). She enjoys reading, writing, shopping, being around friends and family, volunteering, and staying up on the latest news in fashion and entertainment. Follow Shatay on IG and Twitter at @fashionsinatra !