This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month! Looking for some entertainment this month? Well, here is a fun mix of films to watch. I have thoroughly enjoyed these films and I hope you find some of them interesting too. This diverse list includes biopics, comedies, dramas and even documentaries to see during this Women’s History Month.

Moxie (2021). Released on Netflix on March third, Moxie is about a young girl who starts a feminist revolution at her school. The movie is a very current and authentic representation of modern-day feminism. It encompasses the different layers of feminism including race, gender, male allyship, and even the pressures of upholding the movement. It was a pleasant change from the film industry’s inaccurate depiction of feminism and its meaning. The film was an awesome way for Netflix to bring in women’s history month and is a definite hit. 

Waiting to Exhale (1995). This classic is about four black women and their relationships with men, each other, their children and more. It features Whitney Houston, Loretta Divine, Lela Rochan and Angela Basset. The movie really breaks down what it is like to be a Black woman and quite literally “waiting to exhale.” This movie is adored by many Black women and is a movie that can be seen as a staple. 

Becoming (2020). The documentary is about Michelle Obama’s life. It documents her book tour, early life, life as the first lady, and all things Michelle. This movie showcases the forever first lady in a graceful manner and also addresses many social issues in America. Michelle Obama truly is a steward and role model. Many tears were shed while watching this film and is a true depiction of what grace and class look like. 

Legally Blonde (2001). The film about Reese Witherspoon’s Character Elle Woods and her journey to becoming a law student. This film has a way to show that it is not wise to underestimate women. Elle Woods was a beautiful, dedicated, fashionable, and intelligent woman who just so happened to be blonde. Elle worked hard to be able to prove her counterparts, classmates, parents and ex-boyfriend wrong. She did just that and got her degree. 

Hidden Figures (2016). The film is about three Black women, Katherine G. Johnson (played by Taraji P. Henson), Mary Jackson (played by Jenelle Monet) and Dorothy Vaughn (played by Octavia Spencer), and their roles in the space race. These women were pioneers in science and have a huge role in America getting to space. It is an inspirational film based on true events that is a true depiction of women’s intelligence.

Unpregnant (2020). This film is about a pregnant teenager and her friend (Played by Hayley Lu and Barbie Ferreira) taking a road trip in order to get an abortion. It showcases the pressure that is placed upon women’s reproductive systems and sexualities. It is a comedy that serves up plenty of relevant commentaries. It forces viewers to see how women are told what to do with their bodies and how they judged for making the right decisions for themselves.  

Aside from those mentioned on this list, there are so many films out there to be seen. There is so much power in the representation of women in society. Women have amazing roles in society and these films that depict just that. 

India Rice, 19, is a Mass Media major at the Illustrious Clark Atlanta University.