DreGood: #GOODEVERYWHERE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

DreGood is currently a senior at Clark Atlanta University from Killeen, Texas. Aside from being a student, DreGood is also a successful, young music producer. At only 20 years old, he’s worked with artists like T.I., YFN LUCCI, Young Dro, and London Jae. If you didn’t know before, DreGood is definitely the producer to be on the lookout for. Her Campus CAU was lucky enough to talk to this rising music producer, artist, and creative.

HC:  Tell me more about yourself.

DG: Originally, I was born and raised in Killeen, Texas. I’m a 20 year old, senior at Clark Atlanta University.

HC:  What’s something most people don’t know about you?

DG: That I’m only 20 yrs old. I graduated high school a year early.

HC: How did you come up with the name DreGood?

DG: Dre has always been my nickname. The Good came with the idea that I’m good everywhere I go just because of solid relationships and work ethic.

HC: So, what is the significance of the GOODEVERYWHERE hashtag?

DG: GOODEVERYWHERE is not only my hashtag, but a trademark which is evolving into a bigger company. However, the significance of the name comes from my life. One day, I could go to the trap and play some beats for an artist. Another day, I could be out on the nicest side of town, but either way I’m good. My goal is to provide others with the tools to make the “Good Everywhere”.

HC: How long have you been producing music?

DG: I made my first beat in 2016, but I’ve been making my own music since I was 11.

HC: At what point did you know that this was what you wanted to do?

DG: When I saw Drake’s “Best I Ever Had” video, that solidified it for me. But I’d always been in love with the lifestyle that came with the music industry. I never knew where I’d fit but I always knew I’d be here.

HC: How do you manage being a student and a music producer?

DG: It’s hard I’m not going to lie, I don’t really sleep. If i do, it’s usually in between gaps in my schedule. I’d much rather be at the studio than class. Sometimes, I just sit in class and write songs or download new sounds.

HC: What drives you to keep working?

DG: My Mother, My Family, My Friends, My City. My mom had me when she was 21. I feel like she never really got to pursue her dreams. I feel like she deserves the world and GOD is allowing me to be in a position to give her that. I want the same thing for those around me. I love giving back. My siblings are just starting high school and I’d like to change the city for the better so they can avoid things I went through growing up.

HC:  What is your creative process like?

DG:  It’s scattered. It’s never really the same for me. My life is about feelings and moments. I feel like if you focus on those things it’s harder to create.

HC: As a creative it can be hard to produce content all the time. Do you do anything to keep yourself inspired or keep your ideas flowing?

DG: When I get stuck I go out and try to inspire myself or I’ll collaborate with my peers to get a different outlook. I also smoke a lot, that usually inspires me.

HC: What has been the most defining moment in your career so far?

DG: Producing a commercial for T.I. along with Kumho Tires and producing Grinding for YFN Lucci.

HC: Has Clark Atlanta University prepared you for your career in any way? If so, how?

DG: Clark taught me how to finesse. I didn’t really learn much as far as academics, but I did learn life skills and that there’s always a way. You just have to find it or make it.

HC: Did being in Atlanta have an effect on your music at all?

DG: Yes it’s a part of me now. You’ll hear it in my music. Although I am diverse, it’s key to my sound.

HC: How do you overcome self doubt?

DG: There’s always going to be doubts, but you have to make a decision early on of whether you’re going to make it or not. If you don’t believe you can’t possibly make others believe in you.

HC: How has being in the music industry changed you?

DG: I feel like the music industry changes everyone. There’s gonna be some good as well as bad. But, it all makes you better in the in the end if you are truly made for it.

HC: What’s your favorite song that you’ve produced so far?

DG: Grinding by YFN LUCCI.

HC: Name the top 5 people that you’d like to work with in the future.

DG: Wiz Khalifa, Young Thug, Future, Metro Boomin, and Mike Will Made It.

HC: What are some of the goals you have for the future in terms of your career?

DG:  Produce a charting record, produce a platinum record, executive produce a project, open a recording studio and give back to my university and high school.

HC: Do you have any advice to young people who may want to follow in your footsteps?

DG: Stay in your lane. If it’s meant for you, keep working for it “Your Way” and it will happen. So, don’t base your success off others. It will only hold you back.

Follow DreGood @dregooddrakes on both IG and Twitter.

My name is Taj'Zhere Dillard and I'm a freshman, Mass Media Arts major at Clark Atlanta University!