Coronation Glam: 10 Tips on How To Show Up & Show Out for Coronation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

So the Homecoming Coronation Ball is only a couple of days away, and you still have no idea what you’re wearing to this event! You’re double thinking about going because your roomies already found their “perfect” outfit except for you…  HAVE NO FEAR MY CAU PANTHER! Her Campus is here to offer you some tips on how to show up and show out for this year’s ball!

1. Keep it Classy, Not Trashy! It is important to remember that this is a formal homecoming event. Make sure while looking for your perfect dress, to keep it classy. Ladies, leave your super short dresses in the closet and grab something like a midi dress, and if you want to “sexify” it up a little bit, add a little slit to show off your legs!

2. Incorporate your Personal Style into your Coronation Dress. College is all about being yourself, right? RIGHT. So don’t be afraid to put your personality in your dress; just make sure you’re showing your appropriate self! The girls who stun at Coronation are the ones who know how to show their daring personality through the cut, style, or fabric of their dress! For example, if you describe yourself as flirty or outgoing, maybe go for a bangin’ one shoulder silhouette!

3. Make sure you KNOW when you found your perfect dress! I know it can be a little frustrating when you’re running low on time and patience. But just remember when you look good, you feel good! Grab a roomie and bring her along on your journey for the perfect dress. When you try that dress on and look in the mirror, you should always have that little voice in the back of your head that screams “DAMN, I look good!” Don’t settle for anything less!

4. Pick the Perfect Dress For Your Body Type: Know and LOVE your body! A part of looking great is knowing what type of prints, cuts ,etc. compliment your body! What might look good on the mannequin might not look the same on you. Take that extra couple of minutes to run to the dressing room to try that dress on. There is nothing worse than realizing your dress doesn’t fit you right the NIGHT of coronation!

5. WANT to stand out (in a good way)! Coronation is definitely a dress to impress type of event. You definitely want to walk in looking stunning! Don’t be afraid to be unique. Also, switching things up a little lessens the risk of having the same dress as somebody else in the ball (which is like the worst thing ever). Also, remember that there’s a positive AND a negative way of standing out. Ask a couple of your friends for their opinion on your look before the night of the SLAY.

6. Try to AVOID stores by campus!  The closer the stores are to campus, the higher the risk that you will be twinning it with another collegiette at the ball! I doubt that you want to spend your night at the ball having people say “Hey! Someone else has the same dress as you”, while your friends are trying to reassure you that you definitely wore it better than her! This can all be avoided by staying away from trends or designers that show up across a handful of stores.

7. Be Cute AND Comfortable.  ​Don’t fall into the “Beauty is Pain” movement! There are so many diffrent ways that you can be beautiful and comforatable! This is mainly refering to shoes. Ladies, if you can’t walk in heels, PLEASE don’t wear them. Find a cute pair of flats that goes perfectly with your dress! Ladies who decide to wear heels, find a pair that won’t have you forcing back tears while walking (believe me, comforatable heels exist)!

8. Find the PERFECT accessories for your PERFECT dress. Whew! Now that the hard part is done with, lets accesorize! First things first, don’t mix jewelry. If one thing is silver, then all your jewelry should be silver. If one thing is gold, then all of your jewelry should be gold. Try to get your jewelry the same day you get your dress so you can always match the two up before you buy it. As scary as this sounds, jewelry can either MAKE or BREAK your dress!

9. Makeup, MAKEUP, MAKEUP! Know when enough is enough! Try different lip colors the night before so you can know what lip looks best with your dress! Too much makeup can surely clash with your outfit. Your goal when applying makeup is ENHANCING your natural beauty, not covering it up! Also, wearing too much makeup is a great way to get makeup all over your clothes and others, so keep it light and airy!

10. Lastly, HAVE FUN! You look Great!  Make sure that all the stress you put into finding the right dress was well worth it! This is an opportunity to meet a lot of new people in one setting! So have fun and don’t be nervous to branch out and get on the dance floor!

My name is Yasmine Washington. I am a Reporter/Writer for Her Campus CAU. I am a sophomore at Clark Atlanta University, Business Management major. I am absolutely in LOVE with puppies and my favorite color is PINK, duhhh.