Cori Smith, Future Lawyer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Name: Cori Smith

Hometown: Kansas, City

Major: Political Science

IG: Number5_

Twitter: IsThatNumber5_

What inspires you? Adversity is one of the most inspiring things for me, besides my mother.

One thing you can’t leave the house without? I cannot leave my house without my phone. There would be no way to communicate with my life lines or read the news…I would be miserable.

Short Term Goals: Graduating on time, getting into the law school of my choice and becoming a partner at a prestigious law firm by the time I am 30.

Long Term Goals: Maintaining happiness

Favorite Quote: “You cannot protect yourself from sadness, without protecting yourself from happiness.” -Johnathan Safran Froer

Favorite Food: Mexican and Italian

Favorite Color: Purple

Hobbies: I love to read and meditate

Favorite Hangout Spot: My room. I love the energy of my room, and the vibe is homey.

Why CAU? I love the atmostphere and the family-like vibes that I’ve receieved.

Organizations on campus: Honors Program and CAU Volleyball

One piece of advice: Preserve yourself and your name as a legacy in such a matter that down the line it will not cost you the oppurtunity to advance.

We know you’re an advocate for all things black power, so what is your definition of a strong black woman? The title “Strong Black Woman” is covering and massive. My strong black woman is witty, never afraid to look challenge or adversity in the face and unashamedly precious.

You’ve never been afraid to change up your hair. Where does your confidence come from? Hair is just that…hair. It will grow back, and sometimes it brings the set of results necessary to do the unthinkable. “A woman who changes her hair is about to change her life.” – Coco Chanel

On your senior night for volleyball you reached an amazing milestone by reaching your 1000th kill. How did it feel? It was amazing, I didn’t know until afterwards, so it really caught me off guard. It reminds me of the amazing people that played their part in setting me up for those kills, as well as believing in me enough to set me that many times.

How has CAU Volleyball contributed to your life? It has made me more appreciative than people will ever know. It has kept me disciplined when I don’t feel like going to class or studying all the time and has brought some amazing women into my life forever.

Thank you so much Cori for being this week’s Campus Celebrity!! Keep being amazing!

Dual-sport athlete Tenicia Winston is a Senior Writer for Her Campus CAU. She likes to stay on the move, whether on the field/court or off. The native Oregonian is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing. She is a member of the Isabella T. Jenkin’s Honor’s Program where she serves as an event planner as well as a staff writer for their newsletter. . During her freshman and sophomore summers of college she directed an inner-city youth sports camp for the non-profit Portland Parks and Recreation. Her future endeavors include becoming a brand ambassador for a sportswear company such as Nike as well as opening a chain of women’s fitness centers. In her leisure time she enjoys hiking, working out, and baking.